PPC RetroRun part of 8?

jascha

Is /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/ part of Retrospect 8 or part of my 6.1 install?

Am I correct in assuming:

1. This folder is part of 6.1 and can be removed

2. It is responsible for starting the two PPC processes RetroRun and RetroRunSL and that these two process can be killed.

Thanks,

Jascha

Is /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/ part of Retrospect 8 or part of my 6.1 install?

The latter.

Am I correct in assuming:

1. This folder is part of 6.1 and can be removed

Yes.

2. It is responsible for starting the two PPC processes RetroRun and RetroRunSL and that these two process can be killed.

No and yes.

/Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun starts the retrorun process. RetroRunSL (which isn't actually used by Retrospect at all) is a launch daemon, so it's probably in a .plist file in /Library/ (but I can't remember which one). I recall Adam writing about it in TidBITS a few years ago; his site has good searching; I'd look there.

But if the actual binary has been removed from the drive, the .plist entry will have no effect on anything anyway.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I haven't (yet) removed 6.1 (still having issues w/ 8.0 and am preserving my FW VXA 6.1 tape backup), so it's still around.

I found RetroRunSL in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemLoginItems.plist and removed that file.