Execution errors

Hello Retrospect Users,

I just started using version 8 over the weekend and all of my backups have execution errors - even with cache files excluded. Is this normal?

Here is the error section from the log file of my third consecutive backup of my MBP-17 - with almost no activity between the 2nd and 3rd backup (accept Entourage & Safari running in the background).

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Catalogs/Full Media Set A to RNAS .rbc": different data size (set: 619021052, vol: 619069780)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/log/system.log": different data size (set: 8239, vol: 8419)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/log/asl/2009.03.30.asl": different data size (set: 8225, vol: 8347)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/log/asl/StoreData": didn't compare

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/log/cups/access_log": different data size (set: 170426, vol: 172334)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/log/samba/log.nmbd": different data size (set: 984766, vol: 985010)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/run/cups/certs/0": didn't compare

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/samba/unexpected.tdb": didn't compare

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/terrytigner/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity/Database": different data size (set: 1616772096, vol: 1617329152)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/terrytigner/Library/Application Support/Windows Live Sync/logs/Terrys-MacBook-Pro-17.dev=0.2009-03-30.0000.230-3.log": different data size (set: 5212677, vol: 5242945)

3/30/2009 10:24:03 AM: 10 execution errors

BTW, I really like the interface on version 8 and combined with the tutorial videos this version is much more approachable for a new user than version 6.

Thanks,

Terry Tigner

I can see some of these being expected, such as certain logs changing. Were you running multiple executions? The first error you have

"File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Catalogs/Full Media Set A to RNAS .rbc"

shows that the media set named "Full Media Set A to RNAS" was changed while comparing. If that set wasn't being used, than you could have some issues.

The others are changes that were made to a database during the backup. Possibly some emails were received after the first backup scan.