Activator code conflict found

Hi, this is my first post and I'll try to make my questions as clear as possible.

My Company uses Retrospect to backup users home folders and server data. The version of retrospect server is 6.1.138 and is installed on a 4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5. Mac OS X server version 10.4.9.

One of our server has the Retrospect Client installed with version 6.1.130. It also has two static IP addresses assigned to it, one is on the 192.168.0.x network, one is on the 192.168.2.x network. The server was added as client via the 192.168.0.x IP Address. I want to forget it and add it as client via the 192.168.2.x IP Address. This error message showed up:

"Activator code conflict found.

See the log window for details. Different computers may become confused with one another, casuing backups to fail"

Then I went to the log and see what happens, and here's the message:

"Retrospect version 6.1.138

launched at 3/27/2009 11:46 AM

Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.14.101

Activator code is used for multiple clients:

xserve2 at 192.168.0.x

xserve2 at 192.168.2.x"

I then went through the forum and found this post:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/26925/

I assume that I have to force the client to bind to a specific IP address. If this is the case, how do I do it? :rollie:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

The server was added as client via the 192.168.0.x IP Address. I want to forget it and add it as client via the 192.168.2.x IP Address. This error message showed up...

Are you saying that when you went to Configure> Clients, highlighted this client in the database and then you selected "Forget" from the Clients menu, that you got this error?

Yes, I went to Configure > Clients > Network... and then highlight the xserve, then click on "Forget...". Then the icon becomes grey. Next I went to "Test..." and put in the 192.168.2.x IP address, it can find the xserve. But then when I click on "Add by Address..." and put in the 192.168.2.x IP address, that error message showed up.

Yes, I went to Configure > Clients > Network... and then highlight the xserve, then click on "Forget...". Then the icon becomes grey.

When the icon becomes grey, it means that the client has been logged out but not necessarily forgotten.

Instead, follow this procedure and see if you obtain better results: Go to Configure> Clients, highlight the desired client, and select "Forget" from the drop-down "Clients" menu in the menu bar.

After doing this, if you then go to Configure> Clients> Network, you should see no icon for this client, gray or otherwise. If this indeed is the case, you should then be able to add it in by address using the new address.

There's no such option in the drop down menu. There's only "Network..." and "Configure...".

It sounds to me like you may be looking only at the options in the Backup Client Database window.

The Clients menu is selected from the main menu bar; the one with the apple, Retrospect, File, Edit, Run, Help, etc. items. The Clients menu, which is only visible when the Backup Client Database window is to the front, should have the menu items "New Folder," "Configure," "Rename," Update All," and "Forget." (Rename is only for folders you may have created.) Note that there should be no "Network" item in the Clients menu.

I just tried forgetting a Mac client by the path you used and was able to do so successfully. (Admittedly, this client was running Tiger and not Tiger Server, and only has one IP address, so it's not an exact replica of your setup.) If your Client menu is indeed messed up and you are unable to forget the client by the path through the Network window, you may have a corrupt Retro.Config file. This file is located at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect and contains all your scripts, lists, custom selectors, etc., in addition to what you may otherwise think of as preferences.

If you drag this file to the desktop and relaunch Retrospect, you will have a default setup that should display the menus correctly. If it does, and if you don't have a good backup copy of Retro.Config, you will then need to recreate all of your scripts and lists by hand.

Hi twickland:

I tried what you have suggested, but have no luck. When I tried to forget the client from the tool bar "client" > "forget", the client seems to be deleted, however, when I click into "Network", the client just turned gray as log off. What should I do now.

I have never seen the situation you describe; we have always been able to forget troublesome clients, including ones whose multiple IP addresses were causing problems. This makes me think that your configuration file may be corrupt.

I would try dragging Retro.Config to the desktop as I describe above. When you re-launch Retrospect, you will need to re-enter your license code. Then see if you can successfully log in your client at the desired IP address.

If this works, you will then either need to retrieve a backup copy of Retro.Config from a time before this problem appeared, or else you will need to recreate all of your scripts, lists, and custom selectors by hand (been there/done that).

If you have to go the latter route, you will probably want to temporarily drag the old Retro.Config back to /Library/Preferences/Retrospect so you can print off copies of your lists, etc., so as to facilitate entering them into your clean configuration.

OK, try this:

1. Use the installer software on your client computer to uninstall the Retrospect client. This should finally cause the grayed icon to disappear from the Network window in your Retrospect server app. If it doesn't, try quitting and relaunching Retrospect.

2. Unless there is some reason for you not to do so, go to the network ports tab of your system network preferences on the client computer and change the order of the two Ethernet ports.

3. Reinstall Retrospect Client and see if you now can add it at the desired address.