Backup Strategy for non-supported drive?

I have a non-supported Firewire Drive. If I want to backup my hard drive, could I make CD-sized backup files on my hard drive, and burn them onto CD-RW's in a separate operation, keeping track of files that have changed and doing incremental backups from time to time?

Hi Armand,

I think I understand what you're proposing to do. The problem is that you can't force Retro to stop writing to a backup file when it hits 650 Mb and start a new one. You have to back up 650 megs at a time each to a new backup set. Likewise, I'm sure you can't trick it into thinking it's writing to CD when it's writing to a hard drive.

You _might_ be able to trick it into thinking you're using ejectable media when you're really using image files. I've never tried it and seriously doubt it could be pulled off without writing a driver that apes a real ejectable.

I hate to say it, but you're probably best off selling the unsupported drive and purchasing a Retro-compatible model. Hopefully that's a feasable option for you. Best of luck.

Archived