Backup NTFS permissions

I run retrospect 7.5.387 on an XP machine which backups up nominated sub directories on two win2003 servers. When I do a restore of these to a new disc the hundreds of complex group folder permissions are missing and are copied back with generic 'everyone' type permissions. The help file explains some of the attributes of retrospect backing up servers and workstations but it is not entirely clear. Does Retrospect presume it is backing up a work station if it's run on an XP box, and therefore does not backup server file permissions...and therefore has to be actually run ON a server to ensure file permissions are copied? The copy NTFS file and folder permissions are both ticked in the backup set options BUT the workstation file and folder settings options are not.

Edited by Guest
found & confirming existing option setting
  • Like 1

You might get a better (more complete) answer if you posted this in the Retrospect for Windows forum, because it's really an issue specific to that code base.

Regardless, when you do repost, or even if you want to continue the thread here, it would help to know a few more facts. Specifically, it's not clear whether the source ("nominated sub directories") is on the XP machine or on the "two win2003 servers"), and where the backup set is being stored (not really relevant here), and/or whether Retrospect client is involved at the source (using a client/server model chatting to Retrospect itself).

In brief, there are two sets of issues.

If you are mounting remote shares of network servers on the XP machine running Retrospect, then Retrospect sees the permissions / owners the same as seen from the XP machine (which might not be the same as seen on the server hosting the share).

If you are backing up the files using Retrospect client on the machine hosting the files, and having Retrospect client talk to the machine running Retrospect, then the permissions / owners are seen as they are seen on the machine running Retrospect client.

In an environment with LDAP / Open Directory / etc., where there is a single ownership model (group, username, etc.) for the entire forest, then it's not an issue. But where every machine has its own paradigm for users, groups, etc., then things get chaotic.

Does this help a bit?

Russ

Yes, apologies, opening sentence can be read either way...Retrospect is running on XP workstation in single domain. The backup sets are going onto a 400GB disc on the XP box.

One of the win2003 servers is the domain controller and is set up with global users and groups. All Win2003 servers are in same domain, it is their subdirs being backed up...connected, as you say, as network drives on the XP box.

So, you have answered my question, thank you.

Presumably a simple answer is to tick the "backup workstation files and folders permissions" but perhaps the permissions would get 'XPised'.

In which case the cleaner solution is to use clients on the servers.

BTW fortunately this is not a lost data situation but rather I am moving the data onto a new disc set and trying to avoid the laborious task of manually moving each share and its unique user/group permission set. Having just taken over systems admin it was a good way to find the backups were not as complete as needed!

rgds

Cliff

Using clients on the servers didn't change the result. Still no group specific permissions and folders not restored as shared.

Any other ideas?

Oh and BTW I posted this in the windows forum too and no ideas from that quarter either.

Edited by Guest
add windows forum posted too

• 2 months later...

Hi there, first you need to make sure you are backing up the NTFS security information this option is in "manage scripts" and then go to options and make sure the relevant box's are ticked. The when you do a restore make sure under options --> system, the restore security information box is ticked i had the same problem know works fine. Hope this helps any questions let me know.