Restrospect 2.5 HD hangs after period of time... why?

npottalagmail.com

I recently reconfigured Retrospect from doing a weekly copy to performing weekly restore points. Since making this change Retrospect seems to randomly hang and my weekly backup doesn't appear to complete correctly. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Retrospect - same result. I've experimented a bit and I can reboot, run Restrosect and see restore points just fine. Then after a seemingly random time (between 4-6 hours) it hangs... I try to choose either "settings" or "restore" buttons but nothing functions. I have to exit the application running in the system tray and then after that it's okay for a while. Needless to say, when it hangs it doesn't provide a reliable backup weekly like I desire. Anyone have the same problem or any ideas on how to correct it? Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for help. This week my backup completed correctly... I was able to start HD Express, it showed that I had more restore points than yesterday but when I clicked on restore to see them, it did nothing. I noticed the Retroexpress icon in the system tray was not there. I ended up having to reboot the PC. I don't like to reboot the PC every week just to make sure my backup works. I have to boot within a couple of hours before the backup and then after the backup to access any of the restore points. I'm running Vista, 2G RAM, 50G free. I've disabled McAfee, uninstalled, reinstalled, same results.

Is there a log anywhere that might give me clues?

Last night - no backup (again). The icon in the system tray appears normal. When you mouse over it, it says theres a backup scheduled at 11 p.m. Sunday... I came in today and nothing.

I'm getting tired of starting this manually. I don't know what interferes with this process after a period of hours. The only success I have is rebooting my PC within a 3-4 hour window of the weekly backup.

I have retroun.exe and Restrospect.exe showing up as SYSTEM processes and then I also see Retrospect.exe showing owned by ME. I assume that's because I started the app to do a manaul backup.

Any clues? Where to determine why my backup doesn't happend automatically?