Retrospect Express messes up SQL Server

HugoKornelis

Hi all,

I recently got a StoreIt external hard disk from PexagonTech, which included a copy of Retrospect Express (version 7.5.387, with driver update and hot fix version 7.5.14.102, according to the Help / About... info).

Since installing and starting to use Retrospect Express, I am getting errors from some of my SQL Server jobs. After some searching, I found the cause. It turns out that Retrospect Express has decided to send backup commands to SQL Server for all my databases.

Now, logging in to SQL Server and sending commands I never asked for is in itself a pretty indecent thing to do. What makes it worse, in this case, is that the specific commands sent wreck my backup/recovery scheme for SQL Server, since the backup that Retrospect initiates replaces the weekly full backup I use as a base for daily differential backups.

I've been trying to find the option where I can disable this behaviour. So far, no success. Anyone able to help me?

(And though I'm not planning on using Retrospect to backup my live databases, I'd also like to know, purely out if interest, how I would be able to restore the backups Retrospect made of my databases, since I was not able to find such a restore option myself).

Edited by Guest
Submitted post before it was finished