Why might Retrospect fail to start automatically?

Hi, I have Retrospect (Server Edition 5.5.144) running in Win NT4 SP6. I have scripts that are set to start at 6:00 pm, but Retrospect fails to start automatically. I confirm that everything looks right under the Preview button. When I get in to work the next morning and manually launch Retrospect to check on backups, I immediately get the timer counting down to start the script it was supposed to have launched the night before, and I found that Retrospect really hadn't launched like it was supposed to.

The date and time in my system clock is set correctly. My preferences have "Enable Retrospect Launcher Service" and "Automatically launch Retrospect" checked (completed action = "Quit"). In the Services control panel, Retrospect Launcher says "Started" and "Automatic". Retrospect Helper was not started but Startup was set to Automatic for it. Does Retrospect Helper need to be Started manually? Everything had worked fine in the past, and I don't know what might have caused this behavior. (I installed a printer, but I think that was before this problem started.) Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

One thing that can cause scheduled backups to not kickoff as expected is accidental changes in scripts.

One of us recently did a restore after having to recreate a catalog. Somehow the backupset was reset to none, preventing the backup from starting.

As soon as I found that there was no backup set selected and selected the correct one, the backup started by itself.

Archived