Future of tape backups?

Greetings,

I currently use a Travan SCSI tape drive connected to my Macintosh G4 to backup a small network of Macs and PC's.

The capacity of the tape os 4 Gb Native. 8 Gb compressed.

On my network, I've got current disk capacity of 100 Gb, which about 22 Gb in use.

I've been looking at the Ecrix VXA drive, and also DDS tapes. I'd like to switch to a Firewire interface.

What is the general feeling regarding the Ecrix drives? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

JohnO,

I currently own three of the VXA drives and have been very happy with them.

They are fairly fast but not the fastest on the market. The main detriment to backing up seems to be the speed of the computers and the network not the tape drive itself. When I backup faster computers on our 100 Base T segment you can definitely tell the difference.

The drives do seem to be fairly reliable so far. No problems reading the data stored on the tapes or anything. I did get one tape (out of 20-30) that wouldn't initially format but they replaced it for free.

If you do buy one, buy the tapes from CDW or Microwarehouse though instead of direct. Their direct prices are exhorbitant. You can also get the drives themselves significantly cheaper from CDW/Warehouse and I'm sure others as well.

One thing is for sure, the price/performance combo of these drives is hard to beat.

Supposedly, the VXA folks are working on a VXA-2 drive which I think will hold either 80 or 100 GB compressed.

Good Luck!!!

driden

Archived