Deleted my backup set within Retrospect...

Hey peeps,

Wondered if you could help me with a problem im having...

Here's how it started...

I have a folder on my desktop Called "Projects" and a folder on the Hard-drive called "Reason". I back both of these folders up within Backup Set A every night on a script.

What happened was is i decided that my "Projects" folder was getting to big so what i wanted to do was get rid of it on my desktop but still keep it in Backup Set A and start a new back up set called Backup Set B which would say have a new folder called "Projects 2" and i would put my new projects in that.

The problem what i did is i went into Retrospect then went to Configure > Backup Sets and i hit Forget on Backup Set A. Because i thought i know it's all backed up on my external Hard Drive i wont need to keep it in there no more.

But i've just realized i want to be able to view all the Snapshots. that it had in Backup Set A. So i've now gone to Immediate > Restore > Restore Files From Backup Set and the backup set isn't even there.

So my question is what will i have to do to get my backup set back into retrospect to view all my snapshots again?

Also to let you know i back the catalogue up on an eternal hard drive.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy

i know it's all backed up on my external Hard Drive

i back the catalogue up on an eternal hard drive.

You have not documented what Type of Backup Set you are using. If you are using an external hard drive to store your backed up data, it's likely you are using either a File Backup Set or a Removable Disk Backup Set.

In either case, a Backup Set is the combination of A) The Catalog file, and B) the Media.

When you "Forget" an item from the Backup Set window in Retrospect, you are not effecting the actual Backup Set in any way; the Catalog file is still where you have been keeping it, the Media is still wherever it's been.

In Configure->Backup Sets there is a "More..." button. Click that, select "Open..." and navigate to the location of your Catalog file and click "open." Your Backup Set will be re-added to your Backup Sets window.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Im doing File back up set doing the Normal Backup.

One thing i think i went wrong with is i've been trying to figure it out all day so what i did and i think its now messed up the cat file. I went into Tools > Repair and was rebuilding the file but half way through it i thought i may have been doing the wrong thing so i cancelled it. I think it's messed the cat file up now. But the media file size is still right so not sure...

Thanks,

Guy

If you can perform an Immediate Backup to Backup Set A and if you can retrieve files from it in a Restore operation, chances are that the catalog portion is OK.

If it's not, you should easily be able to repair the File Backup Set, though to do so may take some time.

By the way, your experience should tell you that it's risky to back up all your data to just one backup set. Having multiple backup sets of the same data, rotating between your active backup sets, and always keeping one set off-site (in case of fire or other disaster) is the way to go.

So what should i do? Should i rebuild the backup catalog?

Have you performed the tests I mentioned and confirmed that you have a problem?

If so, you should repair your backup set. All your snapshots are included in the data portion of your file backup set; the repair should restore the current snapshots to the catalog. (You can also manually retrieve any older snapshots that are in your backup set, should you ever need to do so.)

Ok i did the immediate Back up to Backup Set A and it came up with this " Catalog out of sync with backup set "Backup Set A" Select Tools > Repair > Update Existing from the directory".

I tried to Restore a file aswell but there was only one snapshot to select and it had todays date next to it even though i didn't do a backup today?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Guy