Hi, I am using a mac running 10.4.11 on retrospect 6.1 and getting an execution error on a few files with a backup set disk. Is there any way I can get around this and get my files unarchived again. I have tried and tried and i get one excecution error then six then one again. PLEASE HELP

You are going to have to provide more information if you expect help.

(1) what hardware? (i.e., what type of machine, etc.)

(2) What version of Retrospect? Not just 6.1, but 6.1.what ? See the log.

(3) What Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU")? see the log.

(4) Most importantly, what are the errors? Post from the log file.

(5) what type of a backup set are you using?

Oh, typing in caps is a disincentive for people to help you. No one likes being yelled at.

Russ

I never received this message in my email but to answer your quesitons::

(1) what hardware? (i.e., what type of machine, etc.)

Mac Running 10.4.11

(2) What version of Retrospect? Not just 6.1, but 6.1.what ? See the log. 6.1.126 retrospect

(3) What Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU")? see the log.

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.126

launched at 6/20/2008 10:22 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.5.102

(4) Most importantly, what are the errors? Post from the log file.

- 6/20/2008 9:49:40 AM: Retrieving from Backup Set R…

Trouble reading: “2-Backup Set R†(4336), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Trouble positioning: “2-Backup Set R†(4336), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Trouble reading: “2-Backup Set R†(4336), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Trouble positioning: “2-Backup Set R†(4336), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Additional error information for device "Panasonic DVD DL" [0:0],

Sense > f0 00 03 00 22 fd 10 0a 00 15 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00

(MATSHITA|DVD-R UJ-846 |FB2U)

6/20/2008 9:49:48 AM: 6 execution errors.

Remaining: 2 files, 2776 KB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:08 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

(5) what type of a backup set are you using?

+ Executing Verify at 6/20/2008 9:50 AM

To backup set Backup Set R…

Panasonic DVDs

You still haven't provided information as to what type of backup set you are using (file? removable media?) but it appears that you may be using a removable media backup set onto DVD of unknown media type (-R? +R? +RW? -RW?). You also have not provided any information as to the type of computer hardware (type of "Macintosh computer", PPC or Intel and chip version, or the type of DVD drive, or how the drive is hooked up to the computer). It appears from your log that you may have a Matsushita (Panasonic) UJ-846 DVD-R drive.

I suggest that you call EMC support and open a trouble ticket. They may be able to extract the necessary information from you. It's too painful to get it from you here in the forums, and the necessary information still hasn't been provided.

Contact information for Retrospect support is here:

Contact Support

By the way, your copy of Retrospect and your RDU are very out of date. The updates are free. Perhaps bugs were fixed.

RDU updates are here:

RDU version history

Retrospect updates are here:

Retrospect updates

At first glance it looks like you are having a media problem with your drive or else the drive is failing. But an update to Retrospect and its RDU may help. You could also try on another computer, or using another DVD drive.

Russ