Backup Data Transfers

My question is not necessarily about Retrospect but on some backup strategies.

We are presently using Retrospect 7.5 with all of the latest updates/fixes. We are using Microsoft Server 2003 Standard on a computer with 2 GB RAM and 3 1-TB hard drives. Our backup strategy is to perform normal backups with many file exclusions on a daily basis.

Now for the problem. We want to move our backup sets from our backup server to external hard drives for off-site storage. Our external hard drives are Lacie 1 TB drives. USB transfer is too slow to make this transfer effective so we are moving up to Firewire 800 ports. The USB transfer of approximately .8+ TB takes almost 20 hours and degrades backup server operation.

Does anyone have any possible suggestions on faster transfers from server to external hard drives?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Old thread but wth, my 2 cents.

I've had bad luck with both eSata and USB and use decent SAS RAID cards that support multipliers for cost efficiency. We can assign drives as "pass-through" and make sure Windows knows they may be removed, disabling some caching for more reliability. We still use SATA drives in the SAS enclosures.