I've read with interest some of the posts regarding attempts to run Retrospect 5 on a mac which is running ASIP at the same time. I attempted to get around this by running Retrospect 5 (under OSX) from another mac and backing up my ASIP volumes over the network. It was set to backup 7 volumes on the ASIP Server. It happily backed up the first Volume (1.1gb) with 3 minor execution errors. When it came to start the second volume it immediately chucked up an Error 519 (Network Communication failed). It proceeded to do this with all of the remaining 5 volumes. I find it strange that it did this after completing the first volume relatively successfully. Is there some minor task that Retrospect performs between backing up volumes, which may have caused it to lose touch with the ASIP mac. BTW it also locked up the ASIP mac (presumably after doing the first volume and, hence, why it lost touch with the remaining volumes). Has anybody else had this and more importantly has anybody else overcome this?

When troubleshooting an individual Macintosh, the first step is to determine whether the problem lies with the Macintosh’s software or its network hardware.

Start by limiting extensions and control panels on the client Macintosh to the client control panel, the Network control panel and and mimimal default Apple system software using an extension management utility or by dragging all other extensions to the Desktop and restarting the client Macintosh. Try to back up again.

If the client Macintosh continues to experience the error, exchange the network hardware with that of another client Macintosh. If you are using LocalTalk, built-in ethernet, or a SCSI/ethernet adapter, it is sufficient to exchange all components external to your Macintosh. If your Macintosh has an internal network card, you will need to exchange the card as well. Make sure to exchange the cables along with the other components. After exchanging the network hardware, back up both clients. If the error moves to the other client, then the problem lies in the network hardware.

If the problems persist after minimizing extensions and exchanging network hardware, make sure you also have the most current version of Open Transport and the "Ethernet (Built-in)" extensions since earlier versions could be less reliable. Finally, it may be necessary to perform a clean reinstall of the System software to ensure all System components are functioning as they should be.

Archived