backing up email

What is the right strategy for backing up an email box on a desktop? The file will

change every day so I am guessing that it will save new versions of each file ( inbox

outbox, deleted, etc.) and I'll run out of CD-ROM space on the second backup.

Are you incrementally adding to a CDR with each copy? I would suggest that CDRs are essentially free so you might want to make a fresh backup each N days/weeks and just save your old CDRs for as long as you want to backup safety.

1) Do Duplicates (to just make 1-1 copies) -- useful since the data in the original format and can be quickly and directly accessed. Each CD is a Dup of that day.

2) Use the Recycle backup feature a lot to just make a new fresh copy instead of incrementally adding to an old one.

This question has been posted so many times without a good answer that I had been hoping the new version might deal with it directly. (I haven't upgraded yet.)

So far I have not seen or found a simple solution. "Backup date" is not a selector available on Windows machines.

That leaves only the possibility of creating multiple scripts. You could have a weekly script that includes the email directory and another script that runs the others six days but excludes the email directory.

I haven't tried the above, but I assume it could work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived