Recreate Backup Set's Catalog File

POINTONR

I've received the following log after the backup ran last night ...

How do I 'recreate the backup catalog' please? I've checked the maual and help files and there is no mention that I can find of what to do.

29/03/2008 02:00:01: Copying OS (C:)

Grooming Backup Set RestorePoint failed, error -2260 (can't groom disk Backup Sets created with Retrospect 7.0 or earlier)

You must recreate the Backup Set's Catalog File.

See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.

29/03/2008 02:14:29: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 570 files, 2.7 GB

Completed: 578 files, 6.7 GB, with 93% compression

Performance: 997.2 MB/minute

Duration: 00:14:28 (00:07:36 idle/loading/preparing)

I've recently upgraded my software, as I have upgraded the computer to Windows Vista. So I guess that old backups made under the XP version cannot be deleted to make more space on the disc until the previous catalog has been recreated under this new version.

The old backups made under the XP version can be deleted (completely, all of them) by simply recycling the backup set. If this option isn't readily visible, it basically means throw the backup away and start with a clean target disk.

If you need to keep the older backup data, then you shouldn't be using grooming.

If you would like to have the older backups around for as long as possible, only to be groomed when needed, then you would normally be able to perform a "transfer snapshots" action to copy the data elsewhere, thereby upgrading it to a groomable v7.5 backup set in the process (then transfer it back later). However I haven't seen the GUI for recent express editions so I don't know whether this is an option.