AOpen 24x10x40

twalz68225

Has anyone been able to get Retrospect Express to work with this drive? Technical support keeps telling me that it should work, but I haven't had any luck.

No matter what media I put in it, it spits it out almost immediately with an error 206 (bad media). I've tried 3 different brands of CDRs (16x rating), and several different brands and ratings (2x and 4x) of CDRW media.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just now read your post. I have a Plextor 24/10/40A drive, and am getting the same problem.

Have you solved it yet?

Thanks.

Ed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wrote on Jan 18, 2002

Has anyone been able to get Retrospect Express to work with this drive? Technical support keeps telling me that it should work, but I haven't had any luck.

No matter what media I put in it, it spits it out almost immediately with an error 206 (bad media). I've tried 3 different brands of CDRs (16x rating), and several different brands and ratings (2x and 4x) of CDRW media.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Post Extras

• 3 weeks later...

Also just now read your post. I too have a Plextor 24X10X40 and had the exact same problem. My backup would get a small way through and then the Plextor would spit out the CD with the "Bad Media" error. I've got the latest upgrade from Retrospect as well as the latest firmware upgrade from Plextor. Finally upgraded my Iomega to a 250mb just to get the backups done. Have you had any luck?

Thanks,

Don

I have been able to get Retrospect to work with high speed CD-RWs. High speed CDRs never verify properly.....they always indicate bad backup headers.

What I ultimately have discovered the problem to be is a cooling fan I had installed in my computer case was located pretty close to the CDRW. Once I unplugged the cooling fan, I stopped getting the errors. Coincedence? Maybe........only time will tell.

As luck would have it, I already had plans to rebuild my system in a full tower, instead of the mini-tower that I had before. Since I've completed that, even with the extra cooling fan, it seems to work OK. Of course, I installed the cooling fan on the other side of the case from the CDRW.

Look for some kind of potential electronic interference. That's what my problem seemed to be. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Darn it. I have the same Aopen drive. I confirmed with the Dantz site that it was supported before I bought it. The drive works fine otherwise. But when I burn to CD-R with Retrospect Express it gives me the `bad header` message. Do I need to use CD-RW media?

Archived