Retrospect Not Working with DVD's in new iMac

Hi,

My Dad has a brand new 24" iMac running 10.4.11 (we cant the the 10.5 installer to install 10.5....but thats another matter)

But I cant "configure" Retrospect Express (6.1.138) to use his "SuperDrive" (Optiarc AD-5630A) in this band new iMac to recognize Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (DVD-R47ZZ100SB16) disks. These are new disks and work fine in my DP G4's Pioneer DVR111D drive. AND the iMac CAN burn DVD's fine using these Taiyo DVD-R disks.

AND Retrospect can not now even back up to the external Pioneer DVR-107D (Firmware 1.05) we were using with my Dad's PowerBook G4. It sees the drive there but won't backup to these DVD-R disks.....and it shows the last DVD-R disk from the PowerBook backup set as "locked".....we moved my Dads user account over the iMac and I am trying to use the backup set from that.

Why can't Retrospect Express burn to DVD's now or be configured to work with these high-quality DVD disks?

Very Frustrated,

Jeff

You haven't provided any information whatsoever as to what Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") that you are running, so it's not possible to answer any of your questions.

If you happen to be running one of the recent RDUs, there is a bug in them that only allows +R DVD media. It's all in the Read Me documents for the RDUs. The RDU version history is here, together with versions of the various RDUs:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7886&p=2

As to why there is a bug, well, you'll have to ask EMC. It's been there for about six months or more.

If the drive is unsupported, well, that's another question you'll have to ask of EMC. But without knowing your RDU version, no one will be able to answer your questions.

Russ

Retrospect 6.1 Driver Update (6.1.13.101)

wdwiz (6.1.126)

I could not finder a newer one under the Download section. (the layout of the EMC web site is horrendous)

My Dad was using Retro Express 6.1.126 on his PowerBook and it worked fine with his external Pioneer 107 drive. I tried to update him to the latest version for his intel iMac.

But Retrospect, when using the external Pioneer drive, says "The disc is write protected. Please unlock it and try again."

How do I unlock it?

And, as I say, RE can't even be setup to use the iMacs superdrive....

Jeff

Are you saying when Retrospect Express shows me the DVD as "Locked" OR when it says "The disc is write protected. Please unlock it and try again." OR when it says it can't be configured to work with these disks that it REALLY means "I can't use DVD-R disks anymore. Please insert a DVD+R disk, that is all I can use now." ????

geezzzzzzz......another week wasted trying to figure out why Retrospect doesn't work.....all because Retrospect can't put up a freaking dialog box saying what it means!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Retrospect 6.1 Driver Update (6.1.13.101)

I could not finder a newer one under the Download section.

OR when it says it can't be configured to work with these disks that it REALLY means "I can't use DVD-R disks anymore. Please insert a DVD+R disk, that is all I can use now." ????

You are using the most recent version.

Is there something unclear about the clear English of my original reply to you?

Quote:

If you happen to be running one of the recent RDUs,
there is a bug in them that only allows +R DVD media.

Russ

• 1 month later...

The Optiarc drive is now officially supported (get rid of any rdi file in the Retrospect preferences folder created during custom configuration), and the Pioneer drive should work fine again, with the the new RDU 6.1.14.101 (released 04/01/08). Give that a try.