disaster recovery

I did a full system backup. Then created a bootable CD. I then booted from the CD and formatted my drives. I had to create a catalog. When I put the first backup CD in I got a error message saying there was no drive capable of reading the CD. I tried several times using both my Sony 24x10x40 IDE burner and my CDrom drive. I had to reload Windows and then Retrospect from CDs. Then I was able to recreate a catalog and restore everything back to the way it was. I had done a backup a week earlier but had downloaded the 3.1 driver afterwards. I thought I had better try to read the bootable CD and it failed. That is why I did another backup today. It appears that using a bootable CD is not a good idea.

Remember that the Disaster Recovery CD is a "regular" CD that has been finalized in an ISO 9660 format. Retrospect's data discs, though, are never finalized. For the boot process, the hardware itself is looking for a bootable CD in the burner.

Retrospect, though, is looking for a burner that it supports, in order to be able to read from the data discs. If your device required an RDU that wasn't present when you performed the restore, Retrospect would return the results you saw. Despite the fact that the system may see the hardware, Retrospect needs to be loading its own internal driver for the burner, and without the RDU, it's rather helpless.

Retrospect V5.6 came with my Sony (CRX175A1) 24x10x40 CD/RW drive.

I was able to create a BOOTABLE CD and my system booted from it. When I upgraded to V5.6.127 I could no longer boot from that CD. When I backed up after updating I created a new bootable CD and that also is not recognized. The problem occured after updating to V5.6.127.

The folders you mentioned are the correct folders for Disaster Recovery.

If I understand your statement correctly, your bootable CD _was_working and now it is not. An upgrade would have absolutely no effect on a previously burned Disaster Recovery CD, or on your computer's ability to boot from any CD. The CD is designed to boot your system and has no dependency on whether or not Retrospect is even installed. There is no interaction between the DR CD and the installed application. If you are no longer able to boot your computer from new (or old) Disaster Recovery CD's, you should try booting off other CD's to ensure that your comptuer is actually bootable from CD's at this point. Try booting off your System CD - does it boot? The Retrosepct CD is created from the boot files for your system. If other CD's can boot your system, then the Retrospect CD will be able to boot your system. Make sure you are using the Disaster Recovery CD made specifically on this computer, and not on another computer.

Hi Amy,

Backed up yesterday (Aug 23) and did a disaster recovery this morning using the bootable CD. I use the Sony 24x10x40 drive to boot and it works to a point. I formatted the hard drives. Then I tried to restore and I get a message stating "There are no CD/R or CD/RW drives on this computer." If I try to continue then I get a blue screen message with this error: 0028:00000001.

So again I had to format the C: drive and then reloaded W98se and then EZ Creator 5 followed by Retrospect and then I can do a restore.

Archived