Pioneer DVR-104 problems

I'm trying to use Retrospect Desktop version 5.6.132, driver update 3.1.103, with an internal Pioneer model DVR-104 on a Sony Vaio RX600 under Windows/XP Professional. I am able to use this same software version successfully with a new external Sony DRX-120L Firewire connected DVD+RW drive (amazing speed) and an external Sony CRX-75L Firewire connected CD-RW drive, but am unable to complete a backup on the Pioneer drive with DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-RW or CD-R media. Initially I was able to perform ONE successful backup onto [4] CD-R disks using this drive, but all subsequent attempts causes Retrospect to hang the drive (and Retrospect itself) after copying anywhere from 160-300MB of data. I'm stumped. Every other piece of software I have is able to write to this drive using ALL supported media formats. I don't understand why the backup was successful once, then not again. I've tried everything I can think of. PLEASE HELP !!! Thanks. -Jeff Bowers in SF

When I called Tech Support and asked that specific question, they couldn't tell me if there was a difference in the Compaq implementation - or even what was meant by that. Had your Tech Support given me the same response that you did, I wouldn't have opened this issue. I would have simply asked them the same question I'll ask you now: What is the difference between the Compaq bundled version of the DVR-104 and all other versions of the DVR-104? It's the same drive, right? If the Retrospect drivers support the DVR-104, then why would it support only specific manufacturers' installation of that drive? Also, why would you suppose that I was able to complete one full backup onto this drive, then no fuerther ones? I'm a systems engineer with 30 years of experiance - but I've never heard a story like this before. Thanks.

The drives have different versions of firmware. Some OEM Compaq devices have Compaq-specific firmware installed on them, which is not available for retail sale drives.

While Retrospect may have recognition for some unsupported drives, this does not ensure that you have a reliable backup.

The device search engine will always be the most up to date source of information on supported drives.

www.dantz.com/hardware

• 2 months later...

Amy,

I'm really quite surprised (and disappointed) that Dantz has not qualified *any* DVD-RW drives except for the relatively rare Compaq DVR-104.

Is this really the only DVD-RW drive qualified for use with Retrospect?! If so, I have to strongly request that a few more drives be tested and qualified. At least, take a look at qualifying the most popular DVD burning drive on the planet right now (regardless of format!), the Pioneer DVR-104 / DVR-A04.

The DVD-RW format is alive and well. Indeed, the DVD-RW format has “higher market penetration/adoption than competing formats” -ArsTechnica, http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/02q3/dvd-r/pioneer-dvra04-2.html

Thank you.

Archived