RetrospExpress4.3 - doesn't see eMac CD drive

Retrospect Express 4.3 does not recognize the internal CD-RW drive in my new eMac (M8950) with Combo drive when I boot up the eMac in Mac OS 9.2.2. I have read a number of threads in this Forum reporting a similar problem. As suggested in some of these threads, I have followed up with Article 27104 in the Dantz KnowledgeBase, but have had some confusing results and no success.

In more detail:

(a). When I try to do an Immediate Backup I get the message "Sorry, no disc storage devices found". Checking the Configure tab and clicking on Devices, the message "No backup devices found...." appears. Clicking on the Device Status button give a list with a SCSI icon at top and an entry for device ID 1, which is shown as Philips CDD5301, version Z1.8, driver .sdapStubDrvr. I learned from Article 27104 that .sdapStubDrvr indicates that "the RDU did not properly load for the device or the device is not yet supported".

I have checked both of these possibilities. First: I have RDU 2.5 and its Retrospect 4.3 Driver Update version 2.5.101 plug-in is inside the Restrospect Express folder. It is recognized when the program starts up since the Operations Log states:

Retrospect Express version 4.3

launch at [such and such a date and time]

Retrospect Driver Update, version 2.5.101

Second: the list of supported CD drives at the Dantz website includes this Philips drive.

So what else could account for the ".sdapStubDrvr", and how can I fix it?

Two further investigations:

(B). Formerly I had a slot-loading iMac DV SE (graphite, 400 MHz), running under Mac OS 9.2, with an external FireWire CD writer (Yamaha CRW2200FXZ). With this setup, I had never experienced trouble using Retrospect Express 4.3 (with RDU 2.5) to back up to CD-R media in the Yamaha drive.

As a trial, I connected the Yamaha drive to a FireWire port on my new eMac, installed its driver (from the Yamaha-supplied driver in NeroMax, by Ahead Software), and then tried a CD-R backup to the Yamaha drive using Retrospect Express 4.3. It worked normally. For curiosity I checked Device Status; it now showed two devices, with the Yamaha as ID 2, product CRW2200E, version 1.0D, and driver "Yamaha CD-RW (1.50)" shown in boldface; the Philips drive still showed as ID 1 with its driver as .sdapStubDrvr (as before, not in boldface).

©. Article 27104 mentions that one should have Retrospect SDAP Support 1.2 present in the Extensions folder. I noticed that I had Retrospect SDAP Support 1.1.4, not 1.2. So I downloaded Retrospect Extension Updater (dated 8/29/01) from the Dantz website, placed it in my Retrospect Express folder, and executed it. Afterward, I found that Retrospect SDAP Support 1.2 was present in the Extensions folder and version 1.1.4 had been moved to the Trash.

When I ran Retrospect Express, it gave the same error messages (such as "No backup devices found"), but now Device Status showed no devices at all, neither the Philips internal drive nor the Yamaha external drive! Fortunately, I had not emptied the Trash and was able to restore Retrospect SDAP Support 1.1.4 in place of version 1.2, after which Device Status again showed both drives.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, AmyJ, for this information. It explains my problem, but leads to a couple of further questions.

(1). How did you learn the minimum requirements for the Philips drive? And why couldn't I find this information at the Dantz website? I looked for specific information on drives supported by version 4.3, but couldn't find any. And a search for the Philips drive number at the bottom of the Storage Device Support web page returned a page saying it is "Qualified" for Mac OS, defined as "Passed extensive in-house certification. Storage device is fully supported"; there is no indication from this that 4.3 won't work.

(2). I tried going to the web page you gave with both Netscape Communicator and Internet Explore, but both gave this error message:

"Fatal error: SELECT product_name, manufacturer, interface, media_type, status_mac, status_win,retro_edition_win, retro_edition_mac,

version_min_retro_win, version_min_retro_mac, version_min_adk_win, version_min_adk_mac, version_min_rdu_win, version_min_rdu_mac,

firmware_min_mac, firmware_min_win, dqr_notes_win, dqr_notes_mac from device where id= and dqr_approval='Approved' -- [Microsoft][ODBC

SQL Server Driver]

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'and'."

So then I searched for "8946" at the Search page at the Dantz website, but obtained zero matches. How do I find the page you recommended?

www.dantz.com/hardware

Search for CDD5301 (the drive model you provided), or Apple, or Philips

When the search results come up, click on the link for your drive model to see detailed information. One other note in the record on this drive: This drive is only supported on Mac OS X.

Try loading the link again. I was just able to do it successfully. Maybe there was a hiccup somewhere.