Error 204 - Device busy

I have been using Express 4.3 for two years with no problems on my 300 MHz G3 Mac, writing to a Yamaha CRW8424SXZ CD writer. The following often happens: The three CDs seem to be written normally. When I am asked to mount CD 1 to start verification, I get the message "Execution Incomplete", and the log shows "error 204 - device busy". Occasionally the backup proceeds normally. Then I may get the same error when I try to restore a file. The program displays the catalog. I pick a file, I am prompted to load the proper CD, then the error occurs.

There is nothing wrong with the CD burner, I can write readable files with Toast.

What is the meaning of the 204 error? What can I do to get around it?

Error 204 (device busy) is reported when the backup device is being communicated to by two different processes, or there is hardware trouble that impairs communication with the device. Like all 200- series errors, error 204 is always generated by the backup device and is most often caused by:

1. Third-party software conflicts. If other backup applications are present on your system, they should be uninstalled. Check to see what software or drivers might be present on your system that could attempt to communicate with or control the backup device. Boot with base extensions to help rule out third-party software conflicts.

2. Hardware communication problems. Check the physical connection to the computer (i.e., cables) and, if you are using a SCSI device, the termination for the device.