First time restoring entire disk - folders are missing

Hello (and please excuse my english),

today I had to restore my entire harddisk from backup-tapes because of a disk crash.

I selected the latest snapshot for this disk (07.07.2003) and let Retrospect D1-4.3.) restore.

I expected to get the entire disk back, but there are folders missing (e.g. SystemFolder a.s.o.).

Now I'm confused, 'cause I might have selected the wrong snapshot - because I have two for each disk.

One (the latest) from Juli 2003 and another from February 2003.

Seems logical - the Juli snapshot is the newest - the February snapshot might be my very first complete backup.

But how do I get the entire disk back in state of July 2003 ?

When I select one snapshot Retrospect wants to completely erase the harddisk.

Thought this would be so easy......

Please help me on that - need to get my disk back.

Regards

Uwe

How did you set up the restore? Where you booted from a CD or another drive? If you were booted from the drive being restored to, did you first rename the system folder? Under OS 9, you must rename the current System Folder to "temp" before executing a full system restore.

Hello AmiY,

I have two internal HD's and installed OS 9.2.1 on the working one, because the other drive was dead.

I had my catalogs on CD and re-installed Retrospect from CD too.

My backup-procedure (on DDS-3 DAT) was simple: First a complete backup of everything (took 4 DATs) and after that I only backuped changed files (almost) every day when I shut-down the mac.

I have 9 DATs now. It's an overall backup which simply backups everything. Almost no exclusions, despite cashes or stuff like that.

What I do not understand is the fact that I get two snapshots for the same disk when I go to "restore from backup (sorry - my Retrospect is in german...maybe I translate it wrong)".

Snapshots look like:

MyDisk-07/08/2003

MyDisk-02/12/2003

MyDisk-07/07/2003

MyDisk-02/12/2003

MyDisk-07/06/2003

and so on.....

So - one snapshot always has the same date in it (MyDisk-02/12/2003) and the other one changes daily.

What I think I'll have to do is to restore everything from (MyDisk-02/12/2003) - and then replace similar files from the latest backup (MyDisk-07/08/2003).

But I thought it would work in one rush ("one-button-data-recovery").

In fact I did something wrong in the very beginning or do not understand a basic thing - but right now I'm in trouble and have to restore.

And - I don't know how to do better backups in the future......

Best regards

Uwe

The Retrospect Express User Guide (which is a PDF file) can be located in the Retrospect Express application folder. It will contain step-by-step instructions for a full system restore.

It is possible to have two snapshots for the same computer when backups are done as both Automatted and Immediate executions.

If you are booted on the disk you are restoring to, before executing the restore, rename your System Folder.

Execute the restore

Reboot and rebuild the desktop

Throw away the old (renamed) System Folder

If you are booted from your second hard drive, you do not need to rename the system folder on the first hard drive to which you are restoring.

Hope this helps!

Thank You AmiY for Your help,

something is corrupt in my catalogs or backupped files - strange.

I started from the very beginning and Retrospect wanted to restore 70 GB of data - but my partition has never been bigger than 40 Gigs.

I re-partinioned the drive to its original 80 GB - and now Retrospect wanted 90 Gigs to restore.

The file-selection says 16.98 GB in both cases - but the execution-window is weired (70Gig or 90 Gig).

I found an application (RealBasic) that is sized 40 GB - which obviously cannot be true.

Corrupted file - when I exclude it from the selection I can reduce the restore-size to 38 GB. This will fit on my partition (but selection-window still counts 16.98 GB).

So I will get my data back - but my trust in Retrospect is veeery deeply crashed.

It was not easy - it was not comfortable - it was troubleshooting.

Uncool, computer-experts-stuff. Not what I bought Retrospect for.

Anyway

Hey AmiY - thank You for helping me !!!

Uwe