Client Not Visible

pkscout

I'm going to start this by saying that I have read and tried all previous work arounds, hacks, and "solutions" already posted here, so if you are going to make a suggestion, make it a new one. Our backup server is running OSX and has only one active network interface, the ethernet port. There is not a modem in the machine, there is no airport card. The Ethernet card is the ONLY network interface (I wanted to make that clear to avoid the whole "check the order of your network interfaces" discussion).

If I provide my two subnets in the broadcast settings (which are both on the same physical network segment) then most of the time all I get is client not found errors if I try to change their configuration. If I don't provide any subnets, I reduce (but don't eliminate) those errors, but I have at least two clients that I can no longer see (they could be seen before but I couldn't log them in because of the client not found error).

So here I am with another example of this basically still beta product not working properly. We use DHCP for client address assignments, and unless Dantz wants to fly someone out here to change all 180 machines to static addresses, static addresses ARE NOT an option for us. DHCP is REQUIRED (again want to make this clear to avoid the whole "use static addresses" discussion). Basically I don't want to have to change out my entire network infrastructure just so this lousy application can actually work right. I am more interested in Dantz actually providing a solution for this problem.

Sorry. This isn't anything like a solution. I've had a vaguely similar problem, but really I just wanted to say that unless you're prepared to fork over for paid tech support for a product that that you paid for already that should work as advertised, you should be prepared for a long and fruitless wait. As with most software companies these days, Dantz apparently values their customers so little that it is willing to alienate whole groups of us with substandard products and nonexistent help. Good luck and DON'T hold your breath.

Archived