Ever since I started using retrospect 5.0.205 (driver 2.8) I have been unable to get it to create a backup. I always get the infamous Type 1 error message as Retrospect dies. I thought it was a drive compatibility issue but tonight I used the extension manager to cut back to the OS 9 minimum and I got a backup to occur. Now all I have to do is find out where the conflict is which is no easy task. My question is "Does Dantz have a list of incompatible software established?.

Retrospect 5.0 is a Carbon application which allows it to run on OS 9 as well as OS X. Any Carbon application running on OS 9 requires the CarbonLib extension, in addition to base extensions, to launch and run. With previous versions of Retrospect, no extensions were needed to actually launch the program.

You may have programs on your machine that conflict with CarbonLib or Carbon based applications in general. It is important to update all your programs to ensure best case compatibility.

We currently do not have a list of known extension conflicts. Every system is different, and extensions that have a conflict on one system do not always have a conflict on another system.

Regarding the error Type 1, we have not seen a situation yet where the problem does not go away when booting from either the System CD or a Retrospect CD. This would indicate an extension conflict with an installed program that may not be designed to run while Carbon applications are in use.

Also, CarbonLib 1.6 and Authoring Support 1.19 are now available from Mac OS 9's Software Update control panel. You may need to be using OS 9.2.2 to upgrade.