Sorry, No Disc Storage Devices

I am trying to restore files from a backup to CD-R done in January. However, Retrospect is telling me "Sorry, no disc storage devices found". When I insert the cd-r's I backed up to, they don't mount with their names (1-BackupCD, 2-BackupCD...) but as "Packet Media 1". This is so not how it worked just a few months ago...

System: iBook 2001 running OS 9.2.2

Drive: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2002

Retrospect Version 5.0.205

Device Status window shows the Toshiba drive - I tried backing something up to CD-R for the heck of it, and Retrospect still says "Sorry, no disc storage devices found".

What can be done to alleviate this apparent uselessness of Retrospect, short of a class-action suit?

If I understand your post correctly, Retrospect was working fine previously, and now your device can't be seen? What have you changed in your configuration since January?

Is the drive seen under:

Configure > Devices

What does Retrospect list under:

Configure > Devices > Device Status for Vendor, Product and Version?

AmyC asked:

>What have you changed in your configuration since January?

Only what Software Update (Control Panels>Software Update) has changed.

>Is the drive seen under: Configure > Devices ?

No. If there is a CD in it - that will show in this window. Otherwise it is blank.

>What does Retrospect list under: Configure > Devices > Device Status for Vendor, Product and Version?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Apple System Profiler lists the DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive thus:

ID: 1

Driver vers: 1.4.7

Removeable media: Yes

Vendor: TOSHIBA

Revision: 1B27

Product ID: DVD-ROM SD-R2002

Apple disc burning: Supported

The drive performs flawlessly with playing dvd's, recording from the finder, and with toast titanium (vers. 512). I have also installed Retrospect onto a newer iBook with exactly the same results, except that Configure > Devices > Device Status DOES list the device as:

ID: 1 Vendor: TOSHIBA Product: DVD-ROM SD-R2102 Version: 1K27 Driver: .sdapStubDrvr

However still gives the same "No Disc Storage Devices" error, the finder mounts the cd archive as "Packet Media 1" instead of "1-Backup CD".

What's your setup, Amy? I'd be curious as to what the differences between our systems are.

What happens if you boot with only Base Extensions plus the following - can the drive be seen?

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension version 1.2

-The Authoring Support Update Extensions:

A) Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7

B) SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2

C) Apple Packet Media Access version 1.0.1

These extensions are required for proper access to your drive under OS 9.2.2. Please make sure your versions numbers match or are higher then those listed. There are other requirements for older operating systems.

What happens if you put a brand new, unformatted CD in the drive while in Retrospect? Go to Configure > Devices. Does it show up as erased?

When you insert a blank disc into a CD-RW drive supported by Disc Burner, Disc Burner offers to prepare the disc. Retrospect SDAP Support adds support for a fourth option in the Format pop-up menu, Prepare Disc for Retrospect.

>What happens if you boot with only Base Extensions plus the following - can the drive be seen?

Well, that did the ticket. Though I don't remember having to be so minimalistic when I made the archive in January.

Also, although you are quoting from the Dantz website, the version numbers you gave me are not correct:

>B) SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2

The latest version of this extension is 1.0.1 - It is part of the Apple Authoring Support Update version 1.1.9. Perhaps there is some confusion with Retrospect SDAP Support which is version 1.2

Thanks for your help. Now maybe you can tell me how to get Retrospect to work on my 700Mhz iBook with the TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2102 ;)