Backups not recognized

Hi. I have been using 4.3 successfully for quite a while. But suddenly Retrospect is unable to recognize CD-R backups it has created. The drive seems to be OK. It showws up in devices and has no problem with other CDs. But when I create a backup, and Retrospect attempts to compare/verify the backup, the status goes from "loading" to "busy" and stays busy. I do not recall changing anything. If I quit and reopen and try to run a new backup session of an existing backup set, same thing. I have even reinstalled Retrospect, but to no avail. Any ideas as to what's up?

Can you recheck the Device Status? The product should include more then CD-RW. The listing should include: CD-RW CW-xxxx (x being a number). If it doesn't, the drive may not be communicating properly with the computer, or the driver files may be corrupt. Try moving the Retrospect preferences to the desktop and start Retrospect. Check Device Status - is the drive showing up properly? If so, you will need to reconfigure your clients and scripts.

If the drive is still failing to show up properly, device troubleshooting may be in order. The following steps are applicable to Firewire _and_ USB devices.

1) Try a new CD.

2) Try using a different brand of media. Often drives are picky regarding the brand of media. Follow the manufacturer's recommended list of brands.

3) Isolate the device. Another device on the Firewire chain may be interfering with the backup device's communication. If your backup device is connected to your computer through a hub or another Firewire device, unplug it and connect it directly to a Firewire or USB port on the computer. If it is already connected directly to the computer, try changing ports. If the problem persists, do not reconnect the other devices, and continue down the checklist.

4) You may have a bad cable. Replace the Firewire or USB cable that connects the device to the computer.

5) Update or reinstall the Firewire or USB adapter drivers and/or firmware. Corrupt drivers can cause issues that may not be otherwise detectable. Check the manufacturer's or vendor's website for updated drivers.

6) Completely uninstall any other third-party backup software that may be on your machine, including any drivers that software may have loaded for the device.

7) The system board or Firewire or USB adapter in the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer, if available, and try the device there as the only Firewire or USB device.

8) The device itself may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on new media after changing CDs, cables, software/firmware and computers, then the backup device, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit. Contact your vendor for servicing or warranty information.