First, I've read all the FTP posts here I can find, searched the knowledge archives, etc. Nothing helped.

I'm running Retrospect Express 4.3c (and no, I will not upgrade as I was told the Mac OS X version would be free when I purchased, but since it was delayed I was outside the window.) under Mac OS 9.

I get the same problem everyone does...blank file listing and 255 error on trying to backup. The account is fine, with full privilages and is used daily with Anarchy and other FTP clients on Mac and Win.

I gave up on RE almost immediately after purchasing because of this and am just hoping that I didn't waste my money on a useless product...so if someone has any clues on how to get FTP backups to work w/4.3c and Mac OS 9.2 I'd greatly appriciate it.

(I should also note that having to pay for support just to get the product to work really ticked me off, which is why I initially gave up. Hopefully this forum will be of some value.)

Can you be more specific with the error message: What is the entire error? 255 is not a known Retrospect error code.

In reply to:

I get the same problem everyone does...blank file listing and 255 error on trying to backup.

Also, a search on the forum for 255 came up with nothing related to FTP - can you be more specific about what problem you are having?

225, not 255 (mistake in typing). Exact error:

Device Trouble 'FTP Set A' Error 225 (FTP: no write permissions, bad name or disk full).

None of the faults listed are true, and as far as I can tell wuftpd under redhat 7.1 supports all the required commands. Basic problem is that contrary to the documentation Retrospect will not back up to an FTP server.

I am having the ftp problem too. I am using wu-ftpd on RedHat 7.3. I can log in with the OS X ftp client and create/delete directories, upload/download/delete files, but RE 5.0 always fails. Like others have seen, it does not display anything when setting the directory. When I start the backup, the directory path I specified is created, all with appropriate permissions, but no files are created and the backup fails with the same old error. I have gone through and removed spaces or other special characters from the directories in the path. I have mucked about with the /etc/ftpaccess file to grant fewer restrictions (like not running chroot-ed), all to no avail. I've got nothing more than a hub between the server and the client (no NAT, no proxy). Same LAN, same network. It might even help if the FTP command that actually failed was given, as it is there is not much to go on.

If wu-ftpd cannot be used, please at least identify a publicly-available ftpd that WILL work. I would also figure out why it doesn't work with wu-ftpd and either explain what configuration needs to be changed, or fix Retrospect so that it will work.

Don't get me started on the UFS limitation. I bought 5.0 specifically for that. I've been using Retrospect for so many years it isn't funny. I even beta tested Retrospect Remote years ago. 5.0 is the first release that has failed to meet my expectations - and in multiple ways. I don't like seeing vendors that I have had good long-term relationships with stumble, but Dantz clearly has. I have even tried the FWB product, but consider it very weak indeed. Truly a waste of money. I at least have reasonable hope that Dantz will recover.

We are actively looking into these issues. Please keep in mind that these problems are not occuring for the majority of our customers using FTP backup under OS X. Retrospect does work with FTP backup under OS X and is only failing in some configurations.

Please make sure Network System Preferences : Show Active Network Ports has Ethernet listed first in the list, above the modem and any other adapters. Also, uncheck all other adapters (including modem) if possible.

We will post information when it becomes available.

I finally got my ftp backup to work. What I found is that relative paths do not seem to work. For example, my backup account has a login directory of /extra/backup. I wanted backups to go into a directory called "cube" inside of backup. If the directory specification was given as "backup", "backup/", "./backup" or even "./backup/", the backup would fail. I found that when I specified the full path "/extra/backup/cube/" that it worked fine. This is unexpected behavior, but specifying it this way works, so I am reasonably happy again. I still don't see directories via the GUI, but at least the backups work.

I don't know if others were trying to use relative directory paths or not, but this is what my issue was. Perhaps others are having a similar problem.