Error -39 end of file

Hello,

I am using Retrospect Express version 4.3 on a 400 Mhz G4 Mac running system 9.1. For the past few days, when I do a regularly schecduled unattended backup, I bet the following message:

6/12/2002 12:06:30 AM: Copying 31 gig

Can't save Snapshot in 31gig_to_brick, error -39 (unexpected end of file)

6/12/2002 12:10:00 AM: 1 execution errors

Completed: 112 files, 113.0 MB, with 47% compression

Performance: 111.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:03:30 (00:02:29 idle/loading/preparing)

When I do another backup, it works fine. I have more than 80 gig alloted to the memory for Retrospect, and the original set of files is about 9 gig. It is being backed up to a 20 gig firewire drive that has plenty of space. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

David

If Retrospect reports "Can't Save Snapshot" error -39, then this could indicate a corrupt Retrospect catalog file.

Retrospect 4.3 was not designed to backup the large amount of data commonly found on today's hard drives (multiple gigs) to a File backup set. We drastically changed the way we manage File backup sets with the release of Retrospect 5.0. A File backup set with Retrospect 4.3 will probably not handle 9 gigs of data.

Why? The backup set catalog is stored in the resource fork of the backup file, which has an upper limit of 16mb. The catalog cannot out-grow this size limit, which results in error messages. With Retrospect 5.0, when the catalog grows too large, it is automatically separated from the backup set.

For the amount of data that you are backing up, you should upgrade to Retrospect 5.0. You may also want to run disk utilities on the destination drive to make sure it is healthy.