Same mech & interface, different vendors

I purchased QPS Que! Fire 12X10X32 (PX-W1210A version) for specific Retrospect use.

A few months later unit pooped out. QPS replaced with CD-W512EB. This mechanism is not qualified for Retrospect use as an ATAPI device as you can discern from copied info below from:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3

As you can see the EZQuest Boa is supported with firewire interface. The only listing for the Que! Fire is an ATAPI interface. There is no listing that I've been able to find that lists the Firewire version of the Que! Fire. Why the omission?

There seems to be no way to contact Dantz w/o spending $. So I hope that somebody in a position to explain this situation can contact me. If anybody else has any explanations, I would appreciate any comments.

The drive with the TEAC mechanism is not qualified for use with Retrospect at this time.

The two QPS drives may not be using the same bridge to make the internal (ATAPI) drives into FireWire drives. In our labs, actually, the QPS drive with the Teac mechanism did not perform identiaclly to the earlier version of the drive, and it will remain unqualified until we can ensure that it will provide reliable backups.

You may want to contact the vendor and explain the situation. Perhaps they can replace your old drive with an identical version.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support