Error 211 with ORB drive

Hi -

I have a mac G3 233 mhz (boosted to 533 mhz with a processor upgrade) running OS 9.1.

I have Retrospect Express 4.1a (with the upgraded driver available on the website).

I back up to a Castlewood ORB drive.

All was going fine for a long time. Recently, I started a back up. Retrospect stated a new disk was needed. I put in a new ORB disk. Clicked ok to erase and received the message:

"Couldn't erase disk, error 211 (media locked)" Retrospect then ejects the disk.

The media is not locked. The disk was mac formatted. Same as the other 4 disks I have backed up to.

When I reinsert the disk to check it I see that Retrospect succeeded in naming the disk with the next member name. Also, it has written these two files to the disk:

Retrospect Data

Retrospect Data 002

I've tried the procedure over with several news disks and receive the same results.

What am I doing wrong? Is it my version of Retrospect? Is it the ORB drive? Is it mac OS 9.1?

I was just going to purchase the upgrade to Express 4.3 or 5.0, but I decided to try the forum first.

I'm really at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Christine

CMAdesign@mindspring.com

(This post moved to the correct forum)

4.1 is not compatible with OS 9. You need to upgrade to Retrospect 5.0 and this problem should go away.

Hope this helps!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support