Express 5.0 refuses to Register

I have a fully paid Retro Express 4.3, downloaded via FTP. Then came a nice e-mail from Dantz saying I am entitled to a free download of 5.0 because I purchased Retrospect Express 4.3 after July 18, 2001. That was nice. I downloaded it and it installed just fine.

Unfortunately, when I launch it, it asks me to register, but will not allow me to do so. I tried typing the 16 character code from my original 4.3 version, but the button to complete the operation stays "greyed out". The only choice is to "QUIT". I also tried it with the new registration code sent out by Dantz, but it fails the same way. This Mac is a G3 powerbook running OS 9.2.2.

I did a complete new download on my desktop Mac 7300 (OS 9.1) and had exactly the same experience.

Then I tried to find help via the Dantz website. Totally frustrating and useless!

John

• 1 month later...

I have had exactly the same problem. G3-400, os 9.2.2, installed paid for 5.0 RE upgrade from RE 4.3.

They sent me a "new reg #" for RE 5.0 and when I put it in the the registration window, the "OK" still stays grayed out and I can't proceed. They have not responded to my e-mails, I can't quit chasing my tail and I'm looking for a way out.

Check out the reply to my post by ZakB:

>Please call Dantz Customer Service at 888-777-5664 and they will be

>able to issue you a new 5.0 Express code.

He was right. The new number they gave me worked fine.

BTW: Care to guess what the first number belonged to?

John

You will need to use a 5.0 code to enable Retrospect 5.0. If you are sure you are using a 5.0 code, try the following:

Go to System:Preferences

Move the Retrospect folder to your desktop

Reboot the computer

Launch Retrospect and type in your 5.0 code

You old preferences may have corrupted on upgrade. If removing the Preference files resolves the issue you will need to recreate any scripts that you were using and log in any clients.