Yamaha CD-RW not seen!

I can't get Retrospect Express 4.3 to recognise a Yamaha CRW2100SX-VK external CD-RW drive when I click on 'Devices' (just get no backup devices found). It has latest firmware (1.0n) and details are listed on SCSI bus. If I put an MO SCSI drive on the same SCSI chain then it is found OK as a backup device so no SCSI issues (and the Yamaha drive works fine with Toast). I'm using Mac OS8.6

The Dantz web site reports Yamaha CRW2100S as a qualified device for Macs - does it make a difference that this is the 2100SX external drive?

Thanks for any advice on getting this to work with RE. It's very frustrating installing new software and then finding the drive may not be compatible!

Adrian Langford

First, do you turn on the Yamaha drive before you launch Retrospect?

Having suggested that, I have a similar problem with the Yamaha 2100FXZ (firewire) CD-RW drive. It is also a supported drive. I have found that Retrospect often won't recognize it at first, even though I turn on the drive before I open Retrospect, and I need to quit Retrospect and relaunch it to get it to see the drive. It almost always recognizes it the second time.

Go figure. ;-)

I don't know if that will help you, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it does.

4.3 running under OS X is not supported. You need to upgrade to 5.0.

If you are running under OS 9, please let me know and I'll move this thread.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support