Auto backup to internet

Hi.

I've been using a script to auto backup a couple of files every night to my webspace at my ISP's server by ftp. Been working brilliantly for over a year. Suddenly stopped working a week ago. Now any auto operation fails, with this in the log:

+ Recycle Backup using Essential at 28/4/2002 10:00 PM

Couldn't log in to FTP server members.optushome.com.au, error 222 (FTP: server name lookup failed).

Check that the FTP server is correct and try again.

28/4/2002 10:01:00 PM: Execution incomplete

If I then immediately run the same script manually, it works perfectly!

All I can think of is my (cable) ISP has just changed its configuration from static to dynamic addressing, and no longer requires proxy server details in the control panel. Could that have anything to do with my problem? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Irena. But you'll have to have pity on me. I understand virtually nothing about techie stuff. What's the ftp set? What's ftp logging, and how do I turn it on? Incase it's relevant I have just tried using Interarchy to remove all existing data from the webspace, and then reconfigured the script in RE for a new destination folder on the same server. But that hasn't fixed the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The FTP set is just the name of the backup set that's stored on the FTP server. To repair it, go to Tools > Repair and then choose the option to repair the FTP (Internet) set.

Can you restore from this set?

A brand new set shows the same behavior?

I take it all back. It isn't fixed after all. Recreating the catalog did make it work once, but every time since I've been back to the same problem. I tried recreating the catalog again, and alas this time it made no difference.

Any further suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

When this error occurs Retrospect could not log in to the FTP server because either the host name (server and domain) is incorrect or the domain name server (DNS) is not functioning.

Verify the host name (the 'FTP Server' field of Retrospect's connection configuration window). If the name is correct your computer is not working with the DNS server it uses to look up domain names and IP addresses. Contact your FTP server administrator or DNS server administrator to troubleshoot your computer and/or the DNS server.