desperately need help with second backup

I'm using 5.0 Express on Mac G4/733, OS 9.2.1.

I did my first successful (I think) backup of just my vital files (about 250MB worth) to CD-R, and now I want to do a second, incremental backup. I tried to find step by step instructions for doing so in the knowledge base, in the pdf manual, etc., but couldn't. I think I may be really dense, because it seems like it should be easy and intuitive but maybe not.

When I launched (either by launching app or by double clicking original backup file), and then select "Backup" Retrospect scans my hard drive and then when it's done it says that it will take 3 CD-Rs, apparently thinking that I'm gonna backup my whole drive, not just new and/or changes in the files I selected on the initial backup. Does it think that all the files I didn't select on initial backup are new and thus need to be backed up? Do I have to go through the list and select files each time? How do I set it up to automatically select only files in the backup that have changes, or new files that have been added to the source (that I can now choose to include or not)?

I always thought I was a reasonable smart person, but apparently not. Can anyone help me take these baby steps?

Thanks in advance,

Frederick

By default, provided that you have not changed your source, backup set or type of backup, your second backup will be an incremental. If you are in Immediate> Backup, all you will need to do is click Backup.

If you chose specific files to backup with the Preview button, Retrospect will not remember those files during your subsequent backups.

To work around this, you might want to save all of your important documents in one folder and define that folder as a source, rather than your Macintosh hard drive.

The other workaround would be to upgrade to the Desktop version of Retrospect and write a Selector just to backup specific documents.

-Zak

Thanks. I decided to start over with an initial backup of my entire hard drive (probably not a bad idea anyway), and then proceed with subsequent incremental backups. It's too bad that Retrospect doesn't remember the file selection; I used to use Redux and it would.

Fred