Dead in the water!

I just upgraded to Retrospect Express 5 on a G4 with OS 9.2.2. Every attempt to to add to a backup or create a new one on my QPS Que Firewire 8/4/32 CDRW fails. It works fine with Toast or CD burner, but everytime I try to create a backup I get either a crash or a dirty heads, bad media, etc. I uninstalled 5 and went back to 4.3, no luck. I did a clean install of OS 9.2.1, assuming it was an OS problem, no luck. I've tried it with base extensions, no luck. I've followed the suggestions on Dantz troubleshooting about trashing the prefs file, no luck. I've tinkered with the firewire extensions, no luck. I've tried three types of Imation media, Maxell, Office Depot - no luck. At times I get an internal consistency check failed message. So, I don't know what to do next, short of paying more than the upgrade cost to talk to a tech. Everything works fine up to the point where I click backup, then it says choose another disk or attempts to erase the loaded one. It processes for a short while, with no progress, then either crashes or returnes a bad media or other dialogue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm back to version 5 with OS 9.2.1 for the present.

www.qps-inc.com

QPS suggests that you use certified media rated to meet the speed of your drive. Avoid using incompatible media brands. They recommend the following brands: Mitsui , TDK, Maxell, Ricoh, Taiyo Yuden, Kodak, and Fuji for CD-R media and Ricoh, Maxell, and TDK for CD-RW media.

I suggest you duplicate your 9.2.2 extension set and then add the following extensions to the set:

-Retro.startup

-Retrospect SDAP Support

-Toast CD Reader

-Toast Firewire Support

Reboot the machine and try the backup.

If that fails, stay in that new extension set and try to backup with another brand of media from the supported list.

Regards,

Zak

Thanks for the info. I've tried Maxell low and high speed CD-RW, Imation low and high, and Office Depot media. All with the same results. I wait for the Retrospect to ask for a disk, I load it, it shows up as erased, but asks for another disk; when I click proceed it begins the erase process for a second or two, then I get an Internal consistency check failed error. The last six times the codes it showed in the prefs log book were b8d235db, b8d38885, b8d39c0e, b8d76c1f and b8d9dfcd. I tried with base 9.2.1 extensions plus the ones you suggested, no change. I tried downgrading to Express 4.3, no change, then reloading 5, no change. The Que Firwire 8x4x32x works fine with Toast 5 and Disk Burner. I have an off-site backup composed of about 17 CD-RW that are Imation low speed, and I was able to add to those disks until full, I just can't get Retrospect to accept any new disks of any kind. I checked the APS web site and have the latest burner driver. In addition to the error messages sometimes it will just freeze instead of showing me the error message. Sometimes it will seem to be erasing for ten minutes or so but show no progress on the progress bar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Under Device Status the following is listed: Vendor: QPS Product: CD-R/RW SW-208B Version: BQ01 Driver: QPS CD-RW 1.50. I just tried it again, and after I inserted the media, a Maxell low-speed disk, the dialogue listed it as erased, but asked for another disk, I pressed proceed, it said erasing, but froze after about 30 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Greetings,

New Retrospect Driver Updates for current Mac and Windows versions of Retrospect are now available for download from the Dantz website.

Mac RDU 2.7 is recommended for all Retrospect 5.0 users. In addition to new drivers for a handful of previously supported devices, RDU 2.7 adds support for the following drives:

Benchmark VS640

Exabyte VXA AutoPak 1x10

EZQuest Boa CDR/w 24X10X40 FireWire Ext

HP SureStore Tape Autoloader 1/8 Series

VST SmartDisk FWCDRW-V8

It also includes improved handling of the following drives:

Exabyte/Ecrix VXA tape drives

Que! Firewire 8x4x32x CD drive (prevents the assert at cdr.c-6249)

The RDU may be downloaded from:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=rdu

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support