Hi,

Can anyone explain to me how archiving works? I want to remove files from my hard drive that are just taking up space, but I can't figure out how it works. I select archive and the backup set that I want to archive to, choose the files that I want to archive it asks for the last disk in my set and then tells me that I may need 3 more disks. Why doesn't it just take the files since they are already on my backup and mark them to be archived? Am I going to have 2 copies of the files on my backup?

Thanks for any help.

Archiving doesn't use matching, so when you tell Retrospect to archive, it needs to copy the files before deleting them, even if you already have copies of the files in the backup set.

You'll either need to start another backup set (recommended, since you'll then have more than one copy of the data you're deleting, in case media gets lost or damaged) or let Retrospect back those files up again.

If you don't want to back the files up again, don't use Retrospect to remove the files from your hard drive - you'll need to delete them manually in the Finder (make sure you've backed up *all* the files you're deleting though!) instead of using Retrospect.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support