Running Retrospect Server on the Server it is backing up?

Like the subject says, do you recommend against running Retrospect Server on the Server it is backing up?

I'm currently running Mac OSX Server 10.2.6 and Retrospect Server v. 5.0.238, backing up to an external SCSI Sony Tape Drive. I've had some instances where the application seems to get "hung up." This usually happens in between tapes. The first tape is finished and Retrospect is asking for the second. When this has happened, our clients are unable to login via AFP. The only way I have found to fix it is just to restart the Server which, obviously, isn't ideal.

Should I install Retrospect Server on a seperate machine (client) which has the OSX Server volumes mounted and back it up in that way?

Recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Well, Retrospect has crashed my server for the last time yesterday morning. After Retrospect forced me to restart due to it's unresponsiveness my RAID was screwed as well. I'm uninstalling and going to a different solution.