Install OS X AND OS 9 on same machine?

No, you'll need to install Retrospect on both 9 and X. The configuration files (which contain scripts) cannot be shared. Sharing catalog files is not recommended. Changed files backed up in 9 will be backed up again in X - the file properties change when switching OS's.

• 2 months later...

Quote:

AmyJ said:

No, you'll need to install Retrospect on both 9 and X. The configuration files (which contain scripts) cannot be shared. Sharing catalog files is not recommended. Changed files backed up in 9 will be backed up again in X - the file properties change when switching OS's.

I have two drives on my G3/400, one of which contains a 9.2.2 system, and the other of which contains 10.2.4. I originally installed Retrospect 5.0.x on the 9.2.2 drive, and so far have been backing up that drive when booted from 9.2.2.

I understand that I should back up and restore the OS X volume only if I'm booted from OS X. I have experimentally brought up Retrospect (installed on the 9.2.2 drive) and found happily that it did not invoke Classic mode. So, I'm assuming I could then do an OS X backup, while booted in OS X, even though the Retrospect application currently resides on the other (9.2.2 drive). I'd prefer to install Retrospect on the OS X drive, and certainly then I could back up my OS X drive while booted in OS X, using the Retrospect now installed on the OS X drive.

However, could I not then back up my 9.2.2 drive, while booted in OS X, using the Retrospect installed on my OS X drive? This way, it seems I could avoid having to boot into 9.2.2 simply in order to back up the 9.2.2 drive, and just back up everything while booted into OS X...

AmyJ's response to the previous poster seems to indicate that you wouldn't want to *both* back up in 9 and in X, but I'd just like to back up my 9.2.2 and OS X drives, while booted in OS X only.