Moving Retrospect to another computer

We have a copy of Retrospect Server that I need to move to a different computer.

Is there any way I can move my client registrations and automatic scheduler info so that I don't have to re-create them?

I've tried copying the Retrospect Preferences folder, but get an error message saying some of its contents have special permission settings and can't be copied (presumably they're owned by root.)

Is there some 'sanitary' way I can do this rather than having to resort to sudo, chmod, etc.?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what version of the manual you're looking at, but mine makes absolutely no mention of how to to handle the permission errors (see below) that come up when one attempts to copy the Retrospect preferences folder.

to Quote my manual: "Copy the this entire folder into the same locationon the new Macintosh replacing any existing Retrospect folder there."

I think this question warrants an actual reply.

Attempts at replacing the Retropect folder in Prefs resulted int the following error messages:

Heading: Copying 8 items to "Preferences"

"The operation cannot be completed because an item with the name "Retrospect" already exists"

Attempts at copying the Retropect (Prefs) folder elsewhere resulted in the following error messages:

"One or more items can't be copied. Do you want to skip them and copy the remaining files" (Available options: Stop, Continue)

aleigh

• 1 month later...

Well, It took some inginuity but I think I've whipped it. Log into your existing Retrospect system as root, connect to server to your new system and copy in that direction. I had to manually copy the files in groups to get past the special permissions attributes but seemed to work.