OS X Client Won't Stay

I just downloaded the new Retrospect 5.0 (update) as well as a retrospect Client for our two office Macs. The Client software refuses to stay on. Every time I click the "On" button, it cycles back to "Off" after about 15 seconds saying "Waiting for password initialization (Click 'On' button.)" Tried to get some assistance from Retrospect phone support but they want $70 to even discuss the subject. Searched the web site for any ideas but I can't find anything that deals with this subject. Anyone have any ideas?

After downloading and installing the new, updated version of Retrospect Client, it still isn't recognized by Retrospect 5.0. While this subject may indeed have been addressed several times previously in this forum, there is no solution that I can find here that will make the Client work.

Indeed, why must a buyer of Dantz software have to pour through these forums in the first place to find solutions? After spending $130 to purchase the upgrade for Retrospect 5.0 and a single Client, I would have expected them to work without my having to devote many hours looking for answers on the Dantz web site. Dantz won't offer any phone help for these upgrade problems without stiffing their customers for a whopping $69.95 single-issue charge. I've now spent several hours of my time trying to get this software working.

It's frustrating not to be able to get someone from Dantz to spend a few minutes on the phone to get this client issue resolved. In 14 years of running my business and dealing with software companies, this is my worst "customer service" experience yet. Even Quark is more helpful than Dantz.

In reply to:

Indeed, why must a buyer of Dantz software have to pour through these forums in the first place to find solutions? After spending $130 to purchase the upgrade for Retrospect 5.0 and a single Client, I would have expected them to work without my having to devote many hours looking for answers on the Dantz web site. Dantz won't offer any phone help for these upgrade problems without stiffing their customers for a whopping $69.95 single-issue charge.

That's a very good question and I'm more then happy to address it. The problem you posted was related to a known issue that has been fixed for some time through a software update available from http://www.dantz.com/support/updates.html Unfortunately, the vendor you purchased the software from has an older build on their shelves. A free update will resolve the problem. Because this issue has been talked about so prominently on this forum, a simple search would have brought up the solution immediately. This is a free community forum - responses are not guaranteed, and/or it may take days to get a response. Had you called in and purchased a support incident for what was a known problem with the program, you call charge would have absolutely been refunded.

Moving on with your post, the original issue has been resolved (client shuts off), but the client can't be seen by the application. These issues are typically something in the network configuration that is blocking proper access - OS X networking is much different then networking in OS 9. Can you provide more information to help people troubleshoot your issue?

What version of the OS?

What editition of Retrospect?

What's your network configuration?

If you go to Configure > Clients > Network, is the machine seen?

Do other clients show up?

What about subnets?

Firewalls? OS 10.2 has a built-in Firewall.

Here's a great article in the Knowledgebase on troubleshooting clients in OS X:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27254