OS X Client won't stay on

I've noticed similar posts regarding this issue, but none have completely cleared my situtation up. Here's the story:

Running Retrospect 5.0.205, Retrospect Client 5.0.528

Client - PPC G4 running OS X

Server - PPC Beige G3 running OS 9.2.

All other clients (6) running OS 9.2 or Windows 98, backing up fine through ethernet/network. OS X clients control panel has a message "Waiting for password initialization (Click "On" button)". When I do, it turns on and says "Waiting for first access". but then turns itself back off after a few seconds. I've checked the firewall (off), put the Retrospect port first in the Network preferences, added port 497 to the firewall (even though it's off), checked that pitond comes on in those few secconds that the client is on (it does), checked tcp/ip (it's on), shut down Classic and tried to start the control panel with only X running, checked that Virex 5.9.1 isn't installed (it's not), and checked that the control panel wasn't showing up in Classic/system folder/extensions (it's not). I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, all with the same effect. I've pinged the server from the client (10 out of 10 returned), and tried to add the client in Retrospect by IP address (get error 541 - no client software). I've also tried downloading a client updater from Retrospect, but the OS X machine couldn't open it. What am I missing?

In reply to:

I've also tried downloading a client updater from Retrospect, but the OS X machine couldn't open it. ]I've also tried downloading a client updater from Retrospect, but the OS X machine couldn't open it.

You'll need the latest version of the client, version 5.0.540. If you can't open it, you may need to download an updated copy of the Stuff-It engine for OS X (available from www.stuffit.com. You can also unstuff the installer on your OS 9 system and move the installer to your OS X partition.

Once you have the new installer available, uninstall the old client, and install the 5.0.540 client.

• 3 months later...

In response to Newsome's comment, I also have been having problems again. It worked for awhile but now when the client computer is restarted, Retrospect client shuts off. I need to manually go in and restart it for backups to be successful. All the parameters are the same as in my original posting...any new suggestions?

Is the client located any place other then the default location (Applications/Retrospect Client/)? In the StartupItems folder (/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/) is a unix shell script that's hard coded with the path to the Retrospect Client's default location.

If you want the client to be kept somewhere else you can edit the shell script to reflect your custom location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As with the owner of this post, I had all the same issues, and then did the latest update, and now the client stays on............now the problem is, when I go to the server (which by the way is a Windows 2000 server), and try and connect to the client for the first time, I get an error that the client is and incompatible version with the server. I've also updated the server side, and i get the same message.

What to do????

Quote:

What to do????

I don't know... But I'm thinking that additional information would be a good place to start.

- What version and edition of Retrospect are you running on the Windows 2K Server?

- What OS X version is running on the OS X client?

- What's the exact error message that you're seeing?

As mentioned before, I am running the same version as the owner of this thread, the latest version of the OS X Retrospect Client version 5.0.540. The laptop is OS 10.2.5 and the Server is running 5.6 with the latest patch (as of yesterday).

I cannot tell you the exact wording verbatim, as I am away from the server at this time, but suffice it to say, that the error is something like, "Cannot connect to client because it is running an incompatible version". This happened, after I updated both the client and the server. There is no error code number.