ReadyNAS NV - Network Backups

We are interested in adding more storage for our backups. Currently we rotate a few external hard drives but are considering moving to a NAS solution - probably the Netgear ReadyNAS NV. The ReadyNAS NV is listed as supported but I was wondering whether it is supported for USB or ethernet or both? Also, how do you go about setting up Retrospect to push backups to a network device?

thanks!

Quote:

The ReadyNAS NV is listed as supported but I was wondering whether it is supported for USB or ethernet or both?

You'd have to ask Retrospect support about that. The supported devices database hasn't been well maintained this past year. You pretty much have to glean what you can from the supported devices database, then scan through the "RDU Version History" document to discover additional details. That document, with downloads for all of the RDU versions, is here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7886&p=2

Also, you might search these forums for issues that some people have had with some NAS devices. Sometimes the underlying filesystem doesn't fully support all of the metadata that Retrospect needs for some features, and, in some cases, the protocol support for the implemented share (AFP, SMB, etc.) is not complete.

Quote:

Also, how do you go about setting up Retrospect to push backups to a network device?

You just set the mounted filesystem as a destination target for the backup (file backup set). Just like any other target. If the device supports FTP, I guess that you could also do FTP backups to it using that feature of Retrospect. The following article might be helpful:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=1144&p=2

Russ