Exabyte PacketLoader 1x10 Timeout Problems

Quote:

(error -102 Trouble communicating)

sounds like a firewire issue. Are there any other devices on the firewire chain?

Quote:

Exabyte Packetloader 1x10 (Firewire) ... firmware updated on both drive and packetloader last Friday

To what versions were the drive and packetloader firmware updated last Friday?

You might try running the Exabyte diagnostics.

Exabyte diagnostics and tools

Quote:

I checked that out and it makes a .bin file to be emailed to Exabyte

Then I suggest you re-read the documentation. One of its functions is to do a "diagnostics dump" (-d option) of the diagnostics table. However, it can also run extensive read/write tests. Read the documentation for the -t and -m options.

Exabyte does, on occasion, ship bad units. You may have one. I have found Exabyte's support to be very good on the one time I called them about an issue on our VXA-2 1x10 1u (SCSI) drive with autoloader. You need to run the diagnostics (read/write test with big amounts of data - 9999 megabytes would be a nice number) to see what happens when you exercise the tape drive. There are also many parameters in the Exabyte drive that Exabyte support can help you adjust.

This is either a firewire problem or an Exabyte problem. It is not a Retrospect problem, because the drive stops communicating over the firewire bus. If you don't want to run diagnostics to isolate the issue, that's your choice. Good luck.