Clients not found on network

meangene

- Retrospect Backup Server 5.0.205 running on a B&W G3 with Mac OS X.1.4

- Clients running OS 9. All configured for TCP/IP. Some with static addresses and some dynamic.

- This setup has been running fine for a month. Suddenly no client can be seen on the network.

- I go to clients window and they are all listed as "Responding" with the icon in blue but when I click on the "Configure" tab, I am told the client can't be found on the network. This is applies to all clients.

What I've already done:

- I have successfully pinged the static-addressed computers which are connected to the same switch as the Retrospect server.

- I have used VNC to view the Retrospect Server from outside the firewall. (point being that that's one more way in which TCP/IP seems to be fine with regards to the Retrospect Server.

- It shouldn't be relevant with version 5 but I can see AppleTalk servers on the network from the Retrospect server so AppleTalk is fine.

- We have mail, database, and file services running smoothly through the network. (the mail and file servers are two of the ones which can't be seen)

Resolution (for now at least) was achieved by turning off VNC. I suppose it doesn't surprise me that two actively networking applications might conflict. I don't understand why but it isn't worth the trouble to investigate. Dependable backup is much more important than being able to control it remotely.

Archived