changing Retrospect FTP file size

I've recently started using Retrospect to back up my PowerBook to my account at bluehost.com. The initial backup took over a week, but the result looked OK (restoring randomly chosen files from the Internet backup set works fine).

In the last few days, however, the Internet backup script has been failing. Retrospect reports

Device trouble: “HR_PB15s”, error 241 (FTP: maximum number of data segments reached).

Retrospect's backup set is composed of a very large number (nearly 2,000) of small (1-2MB) files. Each file is stored in a separate segment, and there's evidently a limit on the number of segments a bluehost account may occupy.

My bluehost account is nowhere near its space limit, which implies that the bluehost server's segment size is much larger than the Retrospect backup set's file size. One solution would be to increase the size of the backup set's files, but I've been unable to find any Retrospect controls to do that.

Any suggestions?

Quote:

Retrospect's backup set is composed of a very large number (nearly 2,000) of small (1-2MB) files. Each file is stored in a separate segment, and there's evidently a limit on the number of segments a bluehost account may occupy.

Actually, segment size is unrelated to file size; a segment may contain multiple files, or it may take multiple segments to completey include a file.

Here are two posts about how to adjust the segment size of Internet Backup Sets:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=84363

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=83600

Quote:

And here is a link to my reply to you yesterday when you made this same post in a different forum, linking to the same answers that Dave provided.

Was there something wrong with the solution in the link that I provided? Did you try it? Did you expect a different answer when you reposted your question?

Thanks for your response. I definitely intend to try it when I get a moment, and I'll post a description of what happens.

The repost was suggested by you, when you said, "You might get more answers if you posted in the Macintosh Retrospect forum."

--Ham

Quote:

The repost was suggested by you, when you said, "You might get more answers if you posted in the Macintosh Retrospect forum."

Sorry that the first part of my post was unclear. I intended to point out that help for Macintosh questions was usually to be found in the Macintosh forums. It was a suggestion for future posts; I happened to know where the answer was to your post because I had been involved in the previous thread, and had interacted with Dave when he provided that solution to someone else. I just happened to look in the "General Discussion - Retrospect" forum, and saw your post. The solution, as you will understand when you read the thread with the solution, is not appropriate for the Windows version of Retrospect. I guessed that yours was a Macintosh post when you indicated that you had a PowerBook.

Good luck on the fix. It's not what would be considered a simple fix. Others have requested a GUI fix in Retrospect, you might want to throw your hat in the ring for such a feature in a future version of Retrospect, if it ever happens. The suggestion forum for Mac OS X Retrospect is here:

Retrospect product suggestions - Macintosh

Russ

I followed the instructions in #83603, using Rezilla in place of ResEdit. Including the time it took me to get up to speed in Rezilla, the whole operation took about 10 minutes.

I set the segment size to 256 MB. The initial backup is still in progress (3.0 G completed, 35.8 G remaining), but the results look good.

Many thanks to R H Walker!

--Ham

Archived