Mac backup to Windows NAS problem

I am new to Retrospect version 6.0 and need to backup 250 gig off an OSx 10.4 machine onto a NAS running Windows 2k3 on a daily basis. I run into a problem with Retrospect telling me there is not enough space availiable saying there is 2 gig availiable when there is actually 1.5 tb free. I don't know if this is a protocol limitation but I would rather not have to use FTP if possible.

Any help or pointers would be helpful!

I guess I don't know what protocol is being used through Retrospect, SMB or AFP I assume. The Mac is running on a standard Mac OS Extended format, my NAS is running NTFS.

Yes this is part of a backup set. Is there any way to break up the set into 2 gig parts rather than one giant 250gig file?

Investigate how the share is presented to the Mac from the NAS. If it's being presented as FAT32, well, there is a 2 GB file size limit. And you seriously ought to consider the free Retrospect update from 6.0 to 6.1.

Quote:

Is this a File Backup Set?

Quote:

Yes this is part of a backup set.

No, that wasn't what Dave was asking. There are different types of backup sets, and the answer might be significant. Look at Configure > Backup Sets, see what type of backup set this is. File Backup Set? etc.

I have it set as a File Backup Set. When looking at the NAS share the mac picks it up formatted as: Windows Sharing (SMB/CIFS). It can also see the entire amount of free/used space (750gig as of now)

I will try to upgrade to the 6.1 tonight. I can only hop on it at night due to the amount of work usually being done on it.

Thank you much for the help so far!

Archived