Set Missing in Read only Backup Set

Hi there

I've searched the forum for answers to my question without success. Perhaps someone can help me.

I am currently running Retrospect 6.1.126 under OS-X 10.4.

When I updated from Version 5.x I created new backup sets as my old backup sets became "Read Only" under Rerospect 6.0. Recently I wanted to restore a file from the old 5.x storage set. Retrospect reported that a set was missing and I was unable to retreive the data. On checking the members of the backup set I saw that two members were indicated as "missing". I have the missing members but because (I suppose) the set is read only the "Set Found" button is greayed out.

How can I fix this problem. I tried installing Retrospect 5.0 but it can no longer open the Backup Set. I suspect Retrospect 6.0 has made some subtle change to it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:

Recently I wanted to restore a file from the old 5.x storage set. Retrospect reported that a set was missing and I was unable to retreive the data. On checking the members of the backup set I saw that two members were indicated as "missing". I have the missing members but because (I suppose) the set is read only the "Set Found" button is greayed out.

Crap. This is an issue that has bitten folks in the past, too.

First, what Type of Backup Set are you using? It has Members, so it's likely either Tape or Removable Disk.

Since the Catalog file is now Read Only, you won't be able to change the status of those Members using that Catalog.

- Do you have backup copies of the Catalog files, from before the update? This should be a normal part of backup administration, as those files are as valuable as any other data you might have.

- Can you Rebuild the Catalog from the media? You would only have to Rebuild using the Member(s) containing the data you want (it sounds as if you know which tape(s) to use). You'll want to Forget the current Backup Set from Retrospect first, and then make sure when you Rebuild you don't save the new one in the same folder (so you don't overwrite the current one).

I don't know if 6.0 will Rebuild a Catalog of pre-6.0 Members (I think it will), but it sounds as if you still have the 5.0 install available.

Let us know,

Dave

Archived