retospect hangs on device scanning

OK, I had a whole host of issues with retrospect from one issues to another and as soon as I managed to fix one thing something else pops up, sigh.

Anyway I'm running OS X Server 10.4.10 with all the latest updates.

retrospect 6.1.126 with the latest driver updates.

Hardware: Dell Powervault 124T (supported)

The issue I have now is that when I try to scan the attached device it either doesn't detect it and when I end the process it crashes the computer but right after reboot it will see the dell but it will take forever to either scan the disk or erase the disk.

I left this running over night and it will still be scanning etc.

Before I got this to work no issues but the backup just crashes but now the backup can't run with out the device.

There are 2 bays for tapes and only the left bay is loaded with 8 tapes the other side is still empty.

I have tried everything including a reinstall and still no joy.

Any suggestions anyone?? I'm close to getting something else if this does not work including a new tape device.

Also I ran all the test on the tape device and it was ok as well.

thanks

Quote:

The issue I have now is that when I try to scan the attached device it either doesn't detect it and when I end the process it crashes the computer but right after reboot it will see the dell but it will take forever to either scan the disk or erase the disk.

It's a little unclear what is happening here.

(1) When you say that you "try to scan the attached device", is this when you use Retrospect to "Configure > Devices" ? Or when you click "Device Status..." in Retrospect's "Configure > Devices" window? Or when Retrospect does its device scan after scanning the backup source and before doing its first write to the destination? Or something else?

(2) When Retrospect doesn't detect the device, what shows up in the device chain in Apple's System Profiler? Is the HBA showing? Is the attached Powervault showing in System Profiler? No hope for Retrospect to see it if System Profiler can't see it.

(3) exactly what RDU (Retrospect driver update) are you using? "latest" is not sufficient information. The full version history, and all versions, are here:

RDU version history

(4) have you tried a different RDU?

(5) how is the Dell Powervault connected? (technology, and HBA type? PCIe or PCI-X?)

(6) if SCSI, is there any other device on that SCSI chain with the Powervault?

Reason I ask is that, about a year and a half ago, on our Xserve G5, I saw Retrospect occasionally hang (not crash) the computer when it did its device scan after scanning the source and before doing its first write. We had (and still have) an ATTO UL4D dual-channel SCSI HBA, and our Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u PacketLoader (SCSI) was attached to one channel of the UL4D, as was a SoftRAID RAID 1 mirror of our OS volume (which was also the paging store). I believe that Retrospect's device scan somehow caused a SCSI bus reset of that channel, causing the dropping of a SCSI interrupt or reset of a command in progress to the disk drive on that same channel, and the problem was only fixed when the Exabyte tape drive and autoloader used by Retrospect was moved to its own SCSI channel. I believe that bug still exists in Retrospect.

There's another issue out there that is not Retrospect, but the HBA. Our Xserve G5 came with Apple's BTO Dual-Channel SCSI card (the same one still sold with the Intel Xserve by Apple), which is really an LSI Logic 22320 Dual-Channel SCSI card. That card is a piece of junk, never worked right with Retrospect, and other software vendors have the same issues with it. Attached devices (e.g., our tape drive) would sometimes not show up on boot, etc. We replaced that card with an ATTO UL4D, and those problems went away. The Apple Dual-Channel SCSI card sits on a shelf, gathering dust. Good riddance.

Could either of these be your issue? Please provide some more data.

Russ

OK, I'm Running OS X 10.4.10

retrospect 6.1.126 updated from 6.1

RDU 6.1.11.101

The Server is connected to 2x xRaids via fibre channel cards, there is also a SCSI card plug into the server which goes directly into the Dell Power vault 124T with no other devices on the chain. everything is left as the default setting so the SCSI channel card is on ID 6 ATTO express PCI ULSD.

after retrospect hangs it then can not see the device but the system profiler still can see our dell only a reboot will solve this.

I do not have any other RDU if you have a previous one you can send me that would be great.

Not sure about the SCSI channels because there is only one device on there I think it is set on 1 but checking the system profiler it mentions scsi domains etc. which got a bit confusing for me.

Let me know if I missed any info out that I can dig up for you.

Ok, now that you have provided complete information, the answer is clear.

ATTO is reporting problems with the UL5D and Mac OS 10.4.10 (but not earlier versions). See this announcement on the ATTO site:

ATTO notice regarding UL5D issues

In fact, there's a whole thread on this issue here in these forums, with some reported workarounds:

Retrospect forum thread about UL5D issues

Not to be grumpy, but this is why we request that people post full details when asking for help.

Russ

Archived