Problems with HP DAT 24 USB

Hi!

I'm having problems with using Retrospect with my HP Storageworks DAT 24 USB tape writer.

We have retrospect 6.x (haven't upgraded, cause we don't know if that would fix the problem or not, no point upgrading if the problem persists). on an Intel iMac(not the completely fresh version).

The error we get is Device trouble: "", error 205 (lost access to storage medium).

Now from the help topics i understand this error may occur due to USB driver problems. What could I try to fix this?

Thank you!

Quote:

What could I try to fix this?

Update to the latest drivers, Retrospect. But you don't seem to have any interest in that.

Quote:

on an Intel iMac(not the completely fresh version)

Whatever that means.

If you want some help, provide complete version numbers of everything and more details about your hardware. We can't read your mind.

Sorry about that.

The mac is: MA456(could be mistaken on the code)

Processor Brand Intel

Processor Class: Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Installed Memory: 1,5 GB

Bus Speed 667 MHz

Included Drives DVDRW (+R DL)

Hard Drive Capacity: 250 GB

Display Size: 24 in

Operating System: Apple MacOS X 10.4

The Retrospect version we got is Retrospect Desktop 6.1(test version), since the old one was 4.x so we wanted to try to see if the new one worked.

And you got me wrong, I would love to purchase the latest retrospect IF we would be sure it works 100%!

Since we've been using Retrospect for many years we want to solve this, so I want to come to a conclusion if it's the Tape writers fault or just some driver. The old tapewriter broke down along with our old Mac, so we bought the HP StorageWorks DAT 24 USB and the iMac. At the very begining it worked just fine, but all of a sudden this error occured and we've tried everything to fix it.

Please ask, if you need more information.

Quote:

And you got me wrong, I would love to purchase the latest retrospect IF we would be sure it works 100%!

My comment referred to your apparent refusal to install the latest updates so that we could see if your bug has been fixed. This has nothing to do with your purchase decision.

No product works 100%, and certainly not Retrospect. Retrospect is PPC legacy code, warmed over from Mac OS 7/8/9, running emulated under Rosetta on Intel Macs. No commitment has been made from EMC for any further version except to provide "compatibility" with Leopard (MacOS 10.5) at some unannounced date past October, when MacOS 10.5 is expected to be released.

You still have not provided the complete version of Mac OS X. "MacOS X 10.4" is not sufficient. Some versions have bugs that may be affecting you. See, for example, the explanation below.

You still have not provided the complete version of Retrospect ("Retrospect Desktop 6.1 (test version)" is not sufficient). The "test version" provides you with a license code that expires on a certain date. The license codes also determine the product functionality level (Desktop, Express, Server, etc.). But the version of Retrospect that you installed is the information that we need to see if your problem is related to your apparent refusal to install the current updates. Retrospect 4.x ran on Mac OS 7/8/9, and is not suited for Mac OS X. Been there, done that. There are two "latest versions" of Retrospect. One, the "released" version, is Retrospect 6.1.126, and its update is available here:

Retrospect Mac updates

There is an Apple bug with MacOS 10.4.7, 10.4.8, and apparently, a related bug that reappeared with 10.4.10, that is exhibited if you have ACLs enabled on an Intel Mac (actually, I believe, on the Universal Binary version of MacOS which can also be installed on a PPC) on a volume being backed up by Retrospect. MacOS X Server has ACLs turned on by default; MacOS X non-server (you don't say which version of server / non-server you have, either) can have ACLs turned on if you know how to do it. There is a hacked version of Retrospect (6.1.131, I believe) that works around this Apple bug by not backing up ACLs. That hacked version is available here:

Retrospect hacked version for Apple ACL bug

You still have not provided the information regarding what driver (Retrospect Driver Update - "RDU") you have installed. Version information (for RDU and for Retrospect) is printed in Retrospect's log each time Retrospect launches, and is also available in the Retrospect menu in the menu bar, "About Retrospect...", "Status" tab.

The RDU updates are available here (RDU 6.1.11.101 is the current update):

RDU version history

The RDU goes in the same folder as your Retrospect application, and is loaded when Retrospect launches.

Your tape drive appears to be a supported device only if RDU 6.1.1.101 or later is used:

Retrospect supported devices - HP Storageworks DAT 24

Because you haven't indicated whether you have any RDU installed or what version, what version of Retrospect you have installed, what version of Mac OS X you have, it's not possible to answer any of your questions or provide you with any assistance. If you are still unwilling to install the current updates to the product so that you at least have the current set of bug fixes, it's not possible to tell whether there is a hope of your configuration working. HP may also have firmware updates for your tape drive. No information provided as to your firmware revision level, either.

Do you begin to see now why the version information is important? Please update as indicated and provide full version information so we can try to help you.

Russ

Well the Mac OS version is 10.4.10.

And retrospect, RDU are both the latest. 6.1.130 and 6.1.11.101

Now I tried the ACL fix for Retrospect and that didn't help.

Also I did try to find some firmware upgrades for the tape writer, but didn't find any at the official HP site.

Can't find the current firmware version for it too though.

Hope this helps.