I have an enduser with the following specs: PB G4 Titanium/OS 9.2 (one ofthe first models of Titanium before shipping with OS X)

He has recently upgraded to Retrospect Desktop v 5, he formerly used Express v 4.3. He currently performs a file backup to a mac share on an NT file server with NTFS permissions. He uses several backup sets (I believe a total of 4) to backup roughly 4 Gb of data.

The problem is he routinely receives execution errors when performing incremental backups (which occurred with both applications; Express and Desktop), but there is no further explanation offered in the log. These files tend to be a combination of office documents (word, excel, powerpoint) and some other random applications as well Adobe Acrobat and

Now Contact. The user has reported that these files are not always the same ones that will not backup and furthermore the problematic files appear to be fine when launched.

We are concerned by the lack of consistency in the performance of the files being backed up and also frustrated with resorting to a recycle backup as a solution since it is very time consuming to backup 4 Gb of data. Any help would be appreciated.

Amy,

Unfortunately, I do not see any error codes associated with the execution errors that you mention. The reports I am referencing are generated immediately after the backup is complete and the user has printed these out for my reference. These execution error reports list the file mapping with file name, the file size, and the type of document (if known), but do not list any additional error code. The operations log only confirms that the backup completed successfully and does not list any error codes either. Any ideas?

The Backup Report, which is generated after the completion of the backup, will show the actual files with errors, but will not give much, if any, details about the actual errors. The complete information will be found in the log.

If a Backup Report is showing files with errors, these same files should be listed with error messages in your Operations Log. That you are not seeing these error messages could indicate that your Operations Log has somehow become corrupt.

You mentioned that these file backup sets are being saved on an NT volume? How are they being mounted to the desktop of the Macintosh? Please keep in mind that there is a 2-gig file size limit via file sharing. A file backup set cannot grow larger then 2 gig when stored on a network due to Apple limitations.

What happens if you backup locally? Do these issues go away?

Amy,

We experienced the same backup difficulties with Retrospect Express 4.3, that is receiving multiple execution errors. We upgraded to Desktop 5.x as a measure to eliminate or reduce the number of execution errors. It seems unlikely that the operations log would be corrupt in both applications.

We are using appleshare to mount the NT volume to the desktop of the Mac. The user has already broken up the backup sets into 4 or 5 individual backup sets, which none are exceeding the 2 Gb size limit.

Any other ideas?

Archived